1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help identifying this (Nissan/Datsun?) turbo?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Derek727, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Derek727

10318.jpg #ad
    Hi all - I'm new to the forum - my reason for joining is this -

I've purchased a hill climb project (1940's MG TC) that was fitted with what I'm told is probably a second hand Aussie Nissan/Datsun turbo.

It was a well known car that had 100 rwhp, sounded great, and the throttle was like an on/off switch - so naturally it needs to live again...

The shed it was garaged in burnt down years ago and I recently purchased the car in bits, and the turbo apparently suffered a bit in the fire and was thrown out.

The previous owner has passed away and nobody could tell me what model turbo was fitted - except they remember it was a Nissan/Datsun.

The engine was 1250cc and the photo was taken in 1997 (might help date the turbo) - can anyone tell me what the turbo is, or might be, or steer me in the direction of finding out ?

Thanks for any help.

Derek
    Australia

2. B E N

Is it critical that you get the same turbo for restoration/posterity purposes, or could you go to a more modern design?

3. Mnlx

It's also draw thru so it probably should have a carbon seal depending on usage.

4. Derek727

Thanks for your reply B E N - I'd like to stick with older parts if I can - maybe try that direction first and see how it develops - I'd like to keep it in the spirit of the original owner. But if that doesn't work I do want to get it running hopefully this year.

5. Derek727

Thanks Mnlx - that's a point I hadn't thought of - I have ordered a few of the books recommended in the sticky for newbies.

6. gruntguru

It looks like a Garrett T2 off an E15ET fitted to Pulsar EXA or ET.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    B E N likes this.