1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Is it safe to sandblast an exhaust housing?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by PaulF, Sep 30, 2012.

1. PaulF

I have a Master Power T70 that has about 10 miles of drive time and about 5 years of sitting in the garage, as a result the exhaust housing is horribly rusted.

I am wondering if it is safe to sandblast the exhaust housing to get rid of the surface rust so I can send it out to be ceramic coated.

I have removed the housing from the turbo but am wondering if the media will erode the inside of the housing and cause trouble as far as clearances go.

Sorry for the newb question. I tend to over think things sometimes.

2. ducatibrian

It will get blasted before coating anyway

3. stangman9897

I have blasted mine before, i used bead blast instead of sand but sand or any media if fine as long as you clean it out good.

4. Jap

I have a wet blast unit at work, I use it for doing fairly intricate stuff.
    Simply use a glass bead instead of something more harsh like an aluminium oxide (Spherical vs. Crystalline Structure)
    If you have the opportunity to reduce your air pressure, you should do that and don't spend too much time on the machined areas of the housing.
    But saying all that, the coaters will prefer to hit the item before they touch it as well, so you could leave it for them if you wanted to.

Have fun

5. PaulF

Thanks for the responses guys. I took the housing to work today and hit it with the bead blaster but only very lightly. I avoided blasting the interior at all and it came out great.