1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

what you guys think about this cam

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by pound4pound, Feb 26, 2015.

1. pound4pound

i have a 5.3 and got a cam already

comp cam
    lift 595-600
    duration @.50 232-238
    114+2

im not looking to make 1000 hp with my combo. Even though this cam may be huge my turbo is a t4 bassed s483 and i only have the 1.10 A/R and the 87mm turbine wheel. so i figure with the small turbine side on my cam it will still light off quick and sound good as well.

2. ducatibrian

Run it since you have it

3. Drac0nic

Very inclined to agree with this. Later on you could find down camming actually gives you more usable power depending on the powertrain. To make the combo work well expect to have to use a converter that's pretty darn loose. That is also assuming you're going to be comfortable with the compromises in streetability as well. Expect it, that's a pretty stout overlap for your cubes and you're running efficient heads.

4. pound4pound

Could you please elaborate on the last part of your statement with the overlap and heads.

my engine had 862s but I bolting on 243s

5. ducatibrian

Smaller turbine wheel, less efficiency, less duration needed

Larger overlap may light off sooner but choke sooner unless the turbine sizing is sufficient

6. ducatibrian

A smaller 212-220 duration cam might be a better match depending on the ultimate goal

7. pound4pound

1) With the stock short block I'm looking for 700 750 fwhp. As this seems to be the level most short blocks start braking things.

2) Im shooting for a nasty sounding turbo street car

3) I'm looking for lighting fast boost ramp from this combo. If and when I go to the track it will be a eight mile track. I'm looking to keep shift points around 62-6400 rpm , that being said I don't want to wait for boost since I'm foot braking.

I will be building a stronger short block soon but since this is a fresh combo I'm trying to get over the initial buy in budget.

My chasis is solid so I'm sure that what ever power I make it will have no problem making the trip

8. pound4pound

Fwiw on another forum a guy started with a stock 6.0 and put a T4 s475 on that had the super small 83mm turbine wheel and was able to run 5.7s in the eitgh mile foot braking in a full street trim nova on 275dr

- - - Updated - - -

He did have a cam and I think home ported 317 heads

- - - Updated - - -

Went 8.90s with that combo in the quarter mile

9. pound4pound

[video=youtube_share;7VFMDMmdX38]http://youtu.be/7VFMDMmdX38[/video]

10. ducatibrian

Jarrett has a well sorted and bad ride! Upper end of stock type combos there.

11. ducatibrian

Jarrett would be a good person to pattern the combination after.
    Your current goals would be a little bit like his truck setup

12. Forcefed86

He also ran a smallish low overlap cam. that was a 218/218 @ 112. (thats on a 6.0 as well) Its been 8.22 now at 167 with large wheel T4 S476. Noone comes close to his times though... He's like the SBE LS Unicorn... :D Pulls 1.2x 60's on stock suspension too the bastard!

13. ducatibrian

Lmao ^^^^^