1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help, Did I choose the right turbo.....?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Nitschke, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Nitschke

Hello I just registered here! My question is'¦.. I just ordered a couple of hours ago a Burg Warner S475 1.32 A/R 96 x 87mm Turbo from TurboDaves but I keep thinking maybe I should have gotten the smaller 1.10 A/R 83 x 74mm Turbo instead? I'm worried that sins it's a street driven call it may spool too late for my liking (3500RPM or later). I cant get a hold of anyone at turbodaves I tried so thats why im posting this.

1.32 A/R
    http://shop.turbodaves.com/S400SX4-75mm-500-1050HP-FREE-SHIPPING-171702-171702.htm
    1.10 A/R
    http://shop.turbodaves.com/S400SX4-75mm-Standard-Cover-T-6-110A-R-750-1050HP-S400-75mm-110.htm

Please tell me what you think and your opinions? And when you think it will spool? (I know everyone spool Different but just what you think it will do)

It is going on a 1978 firebird right about 3200LBS th350 2100 stall rear-end is 2.9x something gear. Next fall/winter it will be getting 373 and 2004r trans. Motor is a Pontiac 400 ported and crossover filled 6x head 8.8:1 compression currently running summit cam 2801 and holly single plane intake and headers. It will be street driven 5500 - 6000 RPM max 6-8 PSI.

2. blown385

400ci ?

you have the right hot side .

3. Nitschke

Yes 400 ci

4. M&M Turbochargers

id want the 1.32 96/87 turbine with 400cid

5. turbomalibuwagon

The tune up will have a lot to do with how it responds . I'm a fan of the larger exhaust I put one oy 300 inch sbc . It's not so much the rpm as it takes a second to get all the mass up and going mine will spool at 2000 but it's not instant. Hope this helps you to have a better idea of what to expect.

6. Forcefed86

What does the converter stall to NA?
    How did you design the hot side? What diameter piping?
    Final HP goal?

Personally I’d want the larger turbine/housing setup on anything over 300 cubes. But I wouldn’t fart around at 6-8lbs of boost.

What you’re asking the setup to accomplish, I don’t see happening with the big T6.

6-8 PSI is nothing. The smaller turbo won’t choke at those levels (even at 400cu inch) and will spool much faster. I seriously doubt a mild 8.8:1 400 will make 6-8 psi by 3500rpm.

7. flyinhillbilly

Do you really think he'll leave it at 6-8 psi once he gets a taste of it? I have never been able to leave them turned down personally.

8. Forcefed86

I’ve known a few with the will power… though I’m sure not one of them! ;)

Was just trying to give him an honest opinion based on what he said he wanted. I’m assuming if he wants 6-8lbs before 3500 his converter has to stall well under 3500. I can’t imagine the big S475 making diddly for boost before 3500 with the engine described and a tight converter. If OP is happy with 6-8lbs power levels, the smaller turbo will be much more responsive and easily keep up with the described engine I’d think.

9. Nitschke

I think it stalls just north of 2100, pipe to the turbo i was going to run 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 and after the turbo i will try to get away with 5 in if i cant ill run 5 as far as i can then reduce to 4in split that into duel 2.5in. if you have advise on the size please let me know? i dont really have a hp goal just more :cheers:

im sure i wont leave it alone :D

i will look to run more boost when i put in better rods and run efi im looking heavy at FiTech right now i might get a different block make it a 428 when i do some internal upgrades.

10. Nitschke

11. Forcefed86

Cubes/RPM/power level all dictate what the the hotside/coldside piping sizes should be. Not having a goal makes it pretty hard. What’s ideal for a mild low RPM 400" motor won't be ideal for a wild 428. So you kinda need to make some choices and pick a power level to build the kit by. Then realize it's not gonna be optimal for multiple engine setups.

I see a few issues. Not trying to piss on you picnic, just being honest here.

With a 6k redline on a wheezy 400 and a 2100 rpm converter... you're not gonna light the world on fire below 3500 rpm without a tiny turbo that will be restrictive in the upper RPM and higher boost levels. Personally I always splurge on the converter since it makes/break the whole setup. At minimum I'd call up PTC and get one of their 10" specials for $450. Best converter on the market at the price I'm aware of. That would then let you spool the big S475 relatively easily with most of the engine combos you listed.

3.73 gear is too high for most V8 turbo cars. You’d be better off sticking with the 2.9X gear you have now assuming the rear will handle the power. What tire size? Plan on racing it at the track? ET goal?

TH350 is a big weak link. With a decent shift kit and clutch pack a mild TH350 isn’t going to handle much over 500 HP at the crank before they start having issues. I’d look into a TH400.

The 200-4r can be built up pretty tough but they aren’t worth the cost to get them to that level IMO. I ran them for years racing turbo Buicks and am VERY familiar with them. You’ll have BIG money in one if you want it to handle much over 650 crank. With an V8 turbo setup you really don’t need OD in most cases. You can easily pull enough gear to cruise comfortably and accelerate plenty quick. I run a 2-speed power glide with a 3.25” gear and 30” tire. I can cruise 65 comfortably on the highway, and click off 8 second ¼ miles at 160 pretty easily. I don’t’ miss the OD and still manage roughly 18mpg on E85. If you go by the standard 30% drop in MPG would put me around 23mpg on 91 octane. (370” LS engine)