1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stud Girdle & Rev Kit

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Kwikr 1, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Kwikr 1

Stud Girdle & Rev Kit

is it worth pulling the trigger on a Rev Kit and Head Stud Girdle on the following Twin Turbo sbc Street/Strip engine combo ? :)

2 x 60-1 Turbos
    Dart Little M Block (4.125 bore)
    Eagle Forged Crank ( 3.725" Stroke)
    Eagle H-Beams w/L19 bolt upgrade (5.7")
    JE Turbo pistons (.200" Pins)
    JE Pro Plasma Ring Set
    AFR 210 Race Ready Alum Heads
    Custom Ground Hydraulic Roller Cam (238/236 @.50 603" lift 115LSA)
    Comp Cam Retro Fit Rollers
    Harland Sharp 1.6" Roller Rockers
    Motown Single Plane converted to EFI w/-8AN rails
    2x Weldon 1100A in-line Fuel Pumps
    Weldon EFI Fuel Reg and Filters
    Wilson 90mm Elbow/Accufab 90 mm TB
    95 hr/lb injectors
    Wrenchrat Twin Turbo Headers
    FAST Dual Sync Distributor
    Crane Hi-6 Ignition Box
    Fully Built TH400 reverse manual/trans Brake
    PTC TC

2. cat herder

Re: Stud Girdle & Rev Kit

I have always liked stud girdles if for nothing but peace of mind, there's crazy harmonics up there that are a little scary. Rev kits are generally a huge pain in the ass but that cam looks pretty aggressive (big lift, short duration) and hydraulic rollers are heavy, and it may be worth it.

3. Drac0nic

A rev kit would likely give you some usable RPM in this case, and as an added benefit they can keep a lifter in the bore if you bend a pushrod. With 2X 60-1s you're talking a solid 4 digit power level and even some big pump gas power. With only 200CID/turbo I'd be inclined to rev it though.

4. Kwikr 1

From what I've been able to gather . the general census seems to be that a Rev Kit can be beneficial to valve train stability even in a hyd roller street application . I really don't plan on reving this engine a whole lot past 6K , there will be no real need to . I agree that it maybe beneficial in my case . :)

5. cat herder

Rev kit can be beneficial to valve train stability even especially in a hyd roller street application

Hydraulic rollers (can) need it because with the right springs to match the RPM the cam's capable of, it puts too much load on the lifter plunger and the lifter collapses. With a rev kit some of the spring load is moved off the plunger and onto the lifter body. Basically does the same thing as going to a much much lighter lifter.

6. watahyahknow

from wat i see on the forum hydraulic lifters arent used often in turbo aplications , i wonder why that is ?

7. Orr89rocz

Thats very similar to my 401 build. I did not use a rev kit or stud girdle and was fine. Used AFR's 8019 upgrade springs, and shimmed to 170lbs seat pressure. Ran great, and I never took it past 6000 rpm.

Same heads/springs, I took that setup to 6800 on a nitrous 383. Ran fine with no float.

Girdle is always a safe bet, but not sure its needed. Rev kit is definately not needed

8. Bad Medicine Racing

Blown385 runs a hydraulic roller, and makes some good power. Maybe he will chime in. As the stud girdles go, I ran a fairly mild flat hydraulic cam (0.488/0.510) and shifted at 5500. It would occasionally break one of the 3/8 studs without girdles. Hope that helps.

9. cat herder

Studs flapping around rob power, even if you never break one. That the girdle also stops shit from breaking is just a side benefit.

10. Kwikr 1

springs are setup like yours at :

Springs are AFR-8002's (1.550 OD/.788 ID) and are set to the following specs:
    170 lbs @ 1.950
    460 lbs @ 1.342