1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1. IT_SS

This is causing quite a ruckuss and Yellow Bullet, figured I'd share

Ported heads
    FAST 102 combo
    Stock short block, re ringed

Article from hot rod magizine in post #92

What I find even more impressive is the power it made NA

2. craig6.9diesel

It cracks me up the guy bitchin about all the money they spent. Little does he know the you can buy 4.8 short blocks from the local pull a part for 300-500 bucks. Then clearance some rings buy some gaskets a throw it back together! And make tons of power until it blows up again.

3. IT_SS

Makes me wonder if thershold testign can be done on the LQ4....

4. half-fast

well this makes me want to do a glory pull with mine at the end of this season ha

5. turbo

Wonder if they put rod bolts in it. That is one thing not mentioned or discussed. I know they pulled the pistons and regapped the stock upper ring. I'm also wondering if it is able to do this due to the shorter stroke and piston speed being more stable compared to the 5.3+ engines? Seems like this created more questions them answers?

6. brngrhd

according to the article no they didn't change the bolts. they wanted to find the limits of the crank rods rod bolts and pistons....... never got there.

7. Quik

1200 engine Dyno is around 1020rwhp give or take some

I just picked up a 4.8 again and going to see for myself how strong They are

8. MONTEGOD7SS

Quik, have you measured the stock 4.8 pistons to see if the upper ring land is thicker than on the longer stroke motors? If so, that's another reason why the 4.8 might be so damn strong.

9. Quik

no i havent but it maybe worth the effort, im also thinking of possibly opening up the ring gap as well. im diong rod bolts and heads will be off so might be a good option to try

10. turbo

How much are those turbos?

11. IT_SS

I'm guessing 5-600 a pop

12. MONTEGOD7SS

About $450 each on eBay. Just search cxracing 76 and you'll see a few.

13. PrecisionTurboMustang

thats a lot of turbo for the power.

14. MONTEGOD7SS

Yup, just like the other one that's been talked about on here, and it was at least almost 340ci. On a 4.8L a set of 60-1s would be bitchin' on the street.

15. Quik

mine are 62s so should be interesting

16. turboventura

Im happy magazines (besides fastford) are doing turbo stuff, but why are they pushing those junk turbos? Throw a box stock s400 on there! They'll cover putting a 15k aftermarket frame in a tri5 but go with a 400 dollar turbo instead of a 6-700 dollar unit.

17. Bad Medicine Racing

I just picked this issue up at the local Wally World...I'm looking forward to reading this article.

18. brandoz28

i would love to try a setup like this with stock heads/intake in my camaro, gotta see if it'll fit under a 4 inch hood