1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1. BoostedDownUnder

Hi guys, I posted this up in the "junkyard/DIY" section but only got one reply.

So,I've got some stuff layin around which is I know isn't ideal but just wondering what I could expect if I chucked it together for a mild turbo setup. Unfortunatley funds are tight atm and a built motor with all the flash stuff is unrealistic.

I've got a 2 bolt 406 sbc that looks to be a stock rebuilt (+.030") bottom end with the factory style cast dish tops and std rods, some Edelbrock Performer RPM 185cc 70cc chamber heads, an Edelbrock Torker intake, a 650dp that I will do the Hangar18 mods to and an EV hat. It's got an unknown hydraulic camshaft (that I don't mind pulling out and checking or replacing for another hydraulic FT). Also have a pair of those cheezy SSAC stainless turbo manifolds and a Holset H1E and a HX40(both turbos appear to be identical measurment wise) with 16cm rear housings. Thought I could add a couple of 38mm wastegates and a 50mm BOV to make a mild low boost combo.

Reckon this would handle say 10#? Any idea on power/TQ and does the block have a hope in hell of not shitting itself even in a mild setup?

2. malibu2slow

I actually did this set up twice lol well close to it
    Stock gm 400
    Stock crank,rods 5.565
    Cheap dish cast replacement pistons
    062 vortec ,
    super victor,
    hangar 18 750 dp
    xe268 nitrous cam
    S400 ,spectra hat
    Th350 ,
    Very tight converter

. On 10# non intercooled it would run low 11's leaving from idle 2.xx 60's . It lasted only 6mos and I never was brave enough to race it on pump gas . Ramdonly it broke a few.......4 pistons during a pass still drove 65miles home smokin like a train .It was really fun while it lasted and taught me how to dial in the blowthru

3. malibu2slow

Hope this helps , any questions just ask. Good luck oh yea this was in a 81 Malibu around 3500lbs

4. BoostedDownUnder

Any idea what your compression ratio was? Reckon the 4 pistons was due to your tune up?

5. g80malibu

Look at my sig, ive been running twin grand national turbos now for 4 years on 6psi of boost never hurt bottom end yet just got done changed cam and headgaskets lower to 9.5:1 comp going to drive it on the street . my old combo went 7.50s in the 1/8 shifting at 4800 hope this helps. :cheers:

6. BoostedDownUnder

Thanks for the reply. My problem is my car has run 7.0 na so anything I do needs to be faster than that.