1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help, cylinder 4 primary glowing red

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by BlackMagic94, Dec 20, 2008.

1. BlackMagic94

So i recently got my car running on the AEM with the LS1 coil conversion.

The car has 160 injectors for E85.

The car was started today in 55 degree weather, so I had to enrich the startup fuel map to make it start on E85. I got the car to start after some trouble, but it ran like poop till it hit 100 degrees coolant wise, then smoothed out. Primary 4 was glowing orange. WTF?

2. nealysa

Basing it on just one tube it sounds like a lot of fuel is burning in the primary. A rich condition in that chamber only.

3. BlackMagic94

Hmm, which could mean a weak spark from the plug or coil?

4. nealysa

That, or a higher flowing injector.

5. Drac0nic

My bet is on a fuel dump. Pull the plug and check for wetting. It could also be mechanical like valve lash.

6. BlackMagic94

I just ran the car again and it did not do it. Strange.

My bet is timing vs fuel on load right now as the car needs to be tuned a whole lot more right now.

7. denmah

intresting, me and a friend came across this one time when our timing was way off

8. nealysa

Very low timing could cause the glowing primaries, but in just one?

9. Coupelx

i had a bad plug causing a misfire to do it.