1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ly6/4L80e in a 69 camaro build

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by futureuser, Oct 11, 2010.

1. futureuser

the van:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

motor plulled:

[​IMG]#ad

gas pedal:

[​IMG]#ad

car:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. futureuser

I've had this car for almost 20 years. Bought it as a rolling chassis. It will eventually need full restoration, but it's time to have some fun with it. It has a 350 sbc which is now for sale. The van is a 2009 chevy express g3 (3500) with a 6.0/4L80e. Many parts for sale :D It was bought locally from co-part.com for $1050 including (300)fees. After cutting up, I found a broken valve cover and coil pack from the steering linkage hitting it. The frame was perfect as impact was above hoodline. No evidence that anyone was in the van when it was hit. My goal is to make this swap cost neutral with sales of parts, old motor, old trans etc.

LY6 features: iron block, aluminum rectangular port heads like L92, vvt, lower 9.6:1 compression. Could this be the best LS style motor for a turbo?

The plan is to use the factory wiring harness modified with factory e38 ecu and hp tuners. The cutup and pull out took me three days which is not accounted for in cost.

I need some encouragement to stick with the turbo plan. LS3 intake/fuel rails/injector are on the way. $300 ebay. For $1400 I can get headers and a mast cam/valvesprings and get 500hp. I know for $1400 I can buy plumbing and a t76 and make more power. I just don't want to melt a piston in this almost new motor. Keep me motivated!

3. CyanJaguar

Put it like this for $1400 you can do a turbo, turn it down to 5psi or whatever it takes to make 500hp and it will actually be easier on the motor because you won't have to rev as high as na

You get a quieter motor, more streetable, and less radical with the turbo

4. nebdrummer

:2thumbs: ahh, you shouldnt have a problem keeping motivated, im subscribing right meow.

but hey, if things fall through, dont forget me, im looking for a ly6 motor. :)

good luck!

5. slow67

If it has DOD, I would put a set of non-DOD lifters in it.

6. dmoss69

I'm watching!!!! :corn:

7. futureuser

No DOD in 6.0s. Just vvt.

Still researching boost options. I like the low budget approach but I'm not crazy about flipped manifolds. I'm surprised there aren't more headers available.

I'm also trying to sort accesory options. I wish the stock manifold would clear the hood.

8. CyanJaguar

I love the flipped corvette manifolds

9. CyanJaguar

oh, and I like the vette manifolds even better in a twin configuration. heavy cast iron manifolds, wrapped, and 4 inches from the turbo, should make for a quick spooling setup

10. futureuser

Thanks Jaguar. Are those your builds? Lots of great ideas there. Do the coils need to be relocated with those flipped c6 manifolds?

11. futureuser

Sorry, Brain fart. Just looked at the pics again and saw the coils in place. I read somewhere that heat was a problem for coils with flipped manifolds. :doh:Are they wrong?

12. futureuser

update:
    ls3 intake/rails/injectors purchased, $300 shipped, LH8 oil pan, pickup, dipistick $200, working on relocating alternator. I'll have more in getting this to fit into the car than I paid for the van by this weekend! What's a little more for a hairdryer?

13. CyanJaguar

A
    Probably not. But the manifold is wrapped and I had 2000 degree shields on the wires.

Still though, I plan to relocate the coils once I pull the engine this weekend. I like the cleaner and it makes me feel better. Now, if you don't want to reloc the coils, just use a half inch exhaust flange. That will space the manifold out from the wires and you won't have to worry about heat(assuming you wrap the headers and/or use shields)

Those are two of my builds. I would recommend a 76 to 80mm t4 turbo
    I see you bought an lh8 pan. Isn't that what comes on the engines stock?

14. watahyahknow

putting them below the sparkplugs perhabs , in place of where the manifolds used to be , seems to mee its the coolest place after the swap and still close to the sparkplugs

15. CyanJaguar

thats exactly what im doing

16. CyanJaguar

to future user, I would HIGHLY recommend the vette manifolds. they dont look as nice as headers but IMO they are just as good. Ive built headers before and for stainless steel(only way to go IMO) you are going to spend $500 in materials not counting the hours it will cost you to fabricate the headers and the amount of argon and electricity that will be burned up welding them up.

not only that, they shed heat faster than the manifolds, and heat is what helps you spool the turbos.

with the vette manifolds, you take that out of the equation. they are a tight tuck so they dont look out of place at all. and best of all you can pick them up for between $50 and $100 depending on condition. I buy my flanges(two bolt flange at the end of the manifold) from a guy who does them in mild steel for about $40 for both shipped to your door

with the vette manifolds, still plan to spend another $500 in bends and vbands etc for your hotside. for the cold side, I used ebay aluminum bends

17. futureuser

The LH8 pan is from the smaller colorado and H3. It has the sump at front and is less deep so it shouldn't hang too low under crossmember. Pictures soon. I can't weld. Should I just find a good exhaust guy to weld the hotside?

18. CyanJaguar

hmm. Ive always known the lh8 to be the truck pan. either way, whatever you get I hope it works. do you have pics of it?

i couldnt weld when i did my first set. I found an amazing professional welder on craigslist and he did all the tig welding for me. he was also very affordable. I had a cheap and quite horrible flux core welder that I would use to tack everything up and then take it to him. if you have a 230v outlet, consider getting a tig welder, even a cheap one. those things open up a whole new world of fabrication up to you. I bought a book and after about 5 hours of practice i was able to lay down a decent bead. Im still learning though

19. slow67

From what I've seen, the LSx coils are pretty much indestructible. Someone has done tests, such as putting them in the oven at 400* or so for an hour, and put them right on a motor, and they still worked fine.

20. futureuser

Are the ls2 and ls3 manifolds the same for the C6?