1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

cam???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by conbread, Apr 3, 2007.

1. conbread

i was wondering if the only diff between a turbo motor and a blower motor, would mostly be decided on the cam?
    and can someone tell me the diff between the two cams in a 1000 to 1200 hp range. thanks conbread

2. LackaTraction

Generally speaking a turbo cam will have more duration on the intake side of the house as apposed to a blower cam having more duration on the exhaust side.

Reasoning: Becuase of backpressure in the exhaust system on a turbo where there is none (other than the natural resistance to the flow of the exhaust system) on a blower motor.

You'll notice a blower or "power adder" cam usually has a 6 or 8 degree split. A true turbo cam is either straight or leans on the intake harder. This is why the E and F cams from FoMo sports work well for a turbo. They are straight across.

3. conbread

hey man thanks for the help

4. svooh

A turbo-spec cam is probably more specific in it's exhaust timing events that just it's overall split of duration/lift numbers. But it does seem to be the trend.

5. conbread

so does it mean if i had a blower style cam in the motor it would run shitty or not at all or just no boost.

6. turbofreek

it depends on the specs really and all setups are different. some have worked great others not so much.

7. ShaneH

This is not necessarily the case any longer. The trend of biasing the intake side comes and goes. Right now I think you'll find that the trend in cams is favoring the exhaust side.

8. conbread

thanks for the help from every one this place is great!!!!!

9. engineermike

I switched from a supercharger to a turbo, but kept my "blower cam" 224/236-114. I decided later to install a turbo-specific cam, and went with a 226/226-114. I was very unhappy with the results, so I sold it an re-installed the blower cam.

I have yet to see proof-positive that there is a difference between a blower cam, turbo cam, and NA cam. Everyone has theories, but no one has dyno results.

10. LackaTraction

With the advent of newer bearings and better performing wheels and housings. Absolutely true! Would I wanna try that on a DIY full float off the shelf turbo and flipped shortie headers? Nope!

It's all in relation to the perspective.