1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help Am i at the limit of my stock gm 350 block? i dont want a big mess

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Mattsv8_03, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Mattsv8_03

hey guys.
    i have a 357" turbo motor. its a gm block that was 2 bolt and converted to splayed billett caps with arp bolts and studs.
    it has a eagle 3.5" stroke crank, 6" rods with l-19 bolts, and je pistons 8.4:1
    im running e85 fuel. on the dyno it made 768 hp and 689 tq at 15 lbs. tial v 60 with 9lb spring. so it needs moved
    on the dyno they read my air fuel at 12.2 on a gas scale wich is way lean. so im ditching the a1000 and adding in a belt drive pump.
    also adding a liquid to air intercooler. it had no intercooler before. the truck has went 9.19 at 147. i want to go 8.50s. do you think with
    the added changes it would survive ok. or am really pushing it too hard. im adding a vacume pump. im looking fro something electric. but
    may have to run a belt driven style and a stock mechanical water pump. so i can get the vacume pump alt and belt drive pump all ran.

2. fastestdriver

This is a touchy question, a person that came on here and said you can up the power to XXXX power and be fine would just be guessing and so would the person that said it's going to expire the next time you drive it.
    My combination mirrors yours save for a difference in stroke so I am interested in this also.
    Have you checked the main caps/ bearings for metal transfer/ abnormal wear?
    How is the ring seal?
    I am deffinately going to keep an eye on your progress so keep us in the loop :2thumbs:

On a side note I wish Dart had the SHP block before I put caps and machine work into an 010 block. IMHO I can't afford to touch a stock block these days with that block on the market.

-Eldon

3. Mattsv8_03

i bought a little m for my new motor but it wont be done just yet. its going to be a stock deck height std bore 400" motor.
    im going to install the vacume setup, belt drive pump so its not lean and the liquid to air unit. and try to keep it arround 15lb max.
    i have to get the rest out of a glide swap or playing with the suspension. for now. im afraid to push it

4. trbo355

Whats kind of RPM do you spin it? That has a big effect on how long it will live. With splayed caps it HAS to help the block strength and im betting you could lean on it a little harder without blowing it up. The Grenade was a piece of junk and made 738 whp with no damage. :D

5. Mattsv8_03

i shift at 7000 and it crosses at 6000-6200 :chacha:

6. Transamthunder

I was gonna so go look at the Grenade thread, but looks like Marty beat me to it. Looks like a pretty good combo you have for the low boost you have with such a high power. Definatly waana follow this.

7. domn8rx

How heavy is the truck??

john

8. trbo355

You made an intersesting point about your A/F reading 12.2 on the gas scale. O2's simply look at oxygen content and if the O2 scale was still set for gasoline, i think 12.2 isnt a problem. Its still appropriately rich i believe. If they changed the scale to E 85, it should read right wherever E-85 wants to be at WOT or darn close. The O2 knows nothing about true stoich ratio but it does know true leftover oxygen content right?
    Am i wrong on this?

9. slow67

you are correct. The Wideband should just read Lambda (easily converted to any fuel's AFR) and the display will just read the gasoline AFR scale.

10. TurboTony82

Try and tune for a/fs in the 10.7-11.2:1 for pump gas to add a little margin of safety.
    If your JE pistons are actual "turbo" pistons that will help as well due to proper ringland depth,etc.

11. littlebluefoxbody

This post was from Feb... It combo runs, hes over on the bullet.

12. Mattsv8_03

well guys so far this motor has went 8.956 at 150 on 15 lbs. manual boost controler so could b 16.
    its still on pump e85 fuel and still showing a 12.2 air fuel so far as i know. i added a liquid to air intercooler, second a1000 pump for a total of 2. now working on a pro tree leave.
    may try to spool the turbo with a 75 shot of spray so i can leave with a killer light.
    they are je extreme duty turbo pistons, eagle h beams with l19 bolts 6" eagle crank 3.5" and splayed mains on a 3970010 block.
    the truck is 3500lbs with me in it. long bed and full interior. sound deadner carpet two seats stock dash and door pannels. its my street truck till the camaro is done.
    then both are streetable. :chacha: added some 1.6 rockers had 1.5 before and think it lost mph almost 4mph. but some said the track i was at recalibrated and they were off 5 to 6 too.
    im setting it up for forumwars a local heads up streetcar race at marion july 31st. hope i win it.

13. nos10racer

you got a build thread. is this for the s10 in your avatar ?

14. Mattsv8_03

yes its the s10 in the avitar. no build thread though shooting for 8.70s and adding some spray to get it to leave on pro tree. maybe a little boost down track if im loosing.