1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Meepers, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Meepers

Just wanted to say hello and share on the project cars I currently have. Reason I found this forum was for my oldest car and the change in direction my project took so I may actually get to enjoy it before I am too senile to enjoy it.

Current project cars are:

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback. Was purchased to transfer my driveline from my Turbo monster 1998 Legacy that was rear ended. Currently have everything needed to make this a turbo car, just have not committed time to actually doing it. I bought this with a broken cam gear *plastic* that caused some damages.

1998 Chrysler Conquest tsi. This is my most recent purchase. It has been off the road for 20+ years. Other than washing it and looking over what I have for it, there has been nothing done to this car.

And finally, the reason I found this board and subbed.

1962 Chevy Nova

I have had this car for just over 10 years, and have changed plans on it so many times, that I wonder if I would ever get to drive it. This was as close to a barn find as you can really get in modern day and in a a big city. I was looking for a 68ish Datsun 510 when I came across this car *friend of a friend* Was originally told it was a 68 Nova, Was not interested. Friend of mine went to go look at it, and told me it was not a 68, it was a 65 post car, was slightly more interested in it at that point. Called the owner, he said no, it is a 62, he told me how much he wanted for it, so I grabbed the trailer, pulled out cash, and was extremely happy when he pulled the cover off of it, to find that it was in fact, a 62 Chevy II 400 NOVA hardtop. Gave him the cash before he could change his mind, loaded it up on the trailer, and so the story began.

I will make a build thread on this car, but plans have changed multiple times on it, and now I am back to my very original plan. Make it drive. THEN, do the crazy stuff. It currently has a 250 from a 70ish Nova, with a TH350 that has been built behind it. I put this in the car 9ish years ago, got it to run, but never made it a driver due to the shift linkage and plan changes. At one point, I had a 2JZ that was going into the car, but I sold that. Car will be getting turbo'd, but I am going to do it to the 250 *which was the original plan*.

I will start my build thread on it to go over the entire evolution/changes that have occurred and were planned to its current state of life. I hope some of you follow the journey from here forward, and look forward to the input and knowledge this forum has to offer.

2. Russell

Welcome! Looking forward to the 62 build. Will it be carb or EFI?

3. Meepers

It will be a carby. I was going the 2JZ route initially, as I was able to get motor/trans/wiring/ecm for less money than it would have cost to convert this old motor to EFI, and had way more growth possibility. Also, at the time, the closest 2JZ swap I could find was a 68 Camaro. But I still think it will be way cooler to do a carb hat, turbo, custom make an intake and exhaust manifold/header.

I figure if I can get a reliable 350 to the wheels in this car, I will be more than happy with it for doing events with my dad. I really want to do the Sick week/ward event, Rocky mountain race week, or what ever.

Russell likes this.
  4. Russell

Enjoying the car is the best part. I did Sick Ward last year I had a blast got to see old friends and make new ones.

I like the data logging that comes with an aftermarket stand alone EFI system. I have really enjoyed my Holley Terminator X. I am not brave enough to try a carb turbo car.

Meepers likes this.
  5. Meepers

I get that. I think it will be fun to fab up the system to use the old TD04 turbo I have from my Subie project before I went with a VF48. I also contemplated doing a M112 supercharger. I was trying to see if I could make a Jeep 4.0 head work to get the fuel injection, and also looked into converting an Astro Van v6 TBI. Then I realized it was just cheaper/easier/better to do a complete drivetrain swap if I was going fuel injected. But that has changed recently now that you can get a Holley or FI tech for 1200 and under.

I have a wide band, that will help get the carb setup tuned. But like I said, too many big dreams, lead to not enough work being done as I tried to collect parts, bought a tig welder, bought a mill/lathe combo and I am trying to save up for a tubing bender.

Happy I finally bought a rear end *Ford 8.8* that I will narrow here pretty quick now that the weather sucks, and bought a CCP mini subframe kit for a smoking deal that has the upper control arms, lower arms, and Viking coil overs to go with the 5 lug disk conversion I bought 6 months ago.

I have an honest 3 weekends of work to make the car a driver not including narrowing the rear end. I will order up the Lokar shift linkage I need this pay check along with new bearings and seals for the 8.8.

My goal for Feb is going to be:

Get the CCP front end installed, rig up the radiator I have to get the cooling system functional, fab up seat brackets, re install the heater core, cobble together an exhaust, and some other little fiddly bits.

As money becomes available, I need to order new windshield and back glass seals so the car wont be an issue if I get caught in the rain, get a set of 5 lug wheels, order a set of matching Viking rear shocks, and I should probably buy a lock set for the car. I took the door/trunk locks out 10 years ago, and have no idea where I put them.

I suppose I can start a build thread on the car now with the photos that I have and put everything on there.

Russell likes this.