1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Hello All, This forum is a gold mine for a 351 build!!

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by CobraCommander, Feb 28, 2019.

1. CobraCommander

Hello, my father and I are working slowly on a short wheel base 66 f100 he drove as a daily a number of years ago but parked about 8 years ago. It currently has a 260 cu in SBF from a Falcon, stock c4 and 9 inch rear end. After planning on doing a 302 swap from a late 90s Explorer, I came across this forum and it totally changed my mind.

New plan for the truck: Cruiser that will spend time as a small tire race truck
    -Crown vic front suspension/brakes/steering,
    -Explorer 8.8 with 31 spline 3.55 gears and will be doing an axle flip,
    -Relocating the fuel tank from the stock location in the cab to under the box using a 65ish mustang tank.
    -Rebuilding the C4 with a shift kit and new converter

Now for the motor, since we are on a budget I want to start out NA with the plan of upgrading to a blow thru set up. I got a great deal on a complete carb to oil pan factory Ford replacement 351w from a late 70s van. This motor is currently running and has about 35,000 miles on it.
    Option 1 is to use this shortblock, Gt40 heads from an Explorer with upgraded valve springs, new cam and a single plane aluminum intake and a carb.
    Option 2 would be to pull a roller 351w from a mid 90s F series or E series Ford and run the Gt40 heads, F cam, and aluminum intake and carb.

The turbo I would use would be an S480, my brother in law is running this on his firebird and has talked about upgrading, so I hope to grab it from him.

I have a few questions
    Which option would be best option?
    If not using a roller cam, what cam would be a good option?
    What intake and carb (keeping in mind it will eventually be blow thrwould be a good choice?

2. Disney Lincoln

Option 2.
    Ditch the C4 idea. Either build it up A LOT of put a C6 in it.
    Just go late model block and roller cam.

3. fastspec2

+1.

4. 91turboterror

A 650 blowthru carb should be fine with a single plane intake . Your best bet is a custom turbo cam. The c4 isn’t gonna like the beating .like said before the c6 is a better choice .

5. CobraCommander

Awesome, thanks a lot guys. I look forward to getting to work on the truck and look forward to learning more. Trying to upload some pictures to this thread. Thanks again guys.

6. CobraCommander

7. 91turboterror

8. B E N

Jay at Broader Performance can build you a C4 that will handle the power.
    I was under the impression that the 351w roller blocks were only good to around 600HP, maybe I am wrong. However you can scavenge the roller components from a late model block and drill/tap the earlier block for the spider tray.
    Avoid the GT40's for boost.

9. Disney Lincoln

I use Broader C4 parts in mine. They do work great, but I wouldn't push it and really I feel like i'm walking on egg shells compared to if i'd just put a C6 in it.

The problem with using late model lifters and spider is the lifter bores on the non-roller 351W block aren't toll enough and with any aftermarket cam you'll push the lifter out of the bore too far and bleed off it's oil pressure.

The Gen 1 L i did recently just made north of 700 on low boost with a stock roller block. I don't recommend everyone to do that, but it can be done.

10. CobraCommander

BEN, I was planning on going with the gt40 heads for budget reasons. Do you know of any other heads that are "budget friendly" that flow well. I know a lot of guys run trickflow or AFR heads. I wont be able to swing that right off the bat.

11. B E N

How much power are you looking to make?

12. CobraCommander

NA I'd like to see 400ish. Eventually I will do a blow thru turbo and hope to run low 11s maybe dip into the 10s in the 1/4. Maybe just dreaming, but that's the goal.

13. B E N

You'll need aftermarket heads and some cam to hit 400 NA. Watch this forum and the mustang forums for a set of used heads, Ebay is good too. GT40's will have a tough time getting to 400 without a lot of porting and a big cam, even then that's a push.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  14. Mnlx

They're also not a great head for boost with their thin decks. I personally wouldn't put much money into a set of them.

15. 87turbonotch

16. Pro-SC

I agree with everybody, better heads are a must. At least these days you can get a decent set but depends on your budget. If you can find a set of world product seniors on eBay or something you might find a good deal if your lucky to stumble across a set.
    Ohh you gotta check out this build thread with three really cool 66 f100’s

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1916426

17. B E N

These are basically a rebranded Procomp/ebay aluminum head. They might be ok for a dedicated race car that doesn't see many miles but I am not sure they are good for a street application... The metalurgy is questionable. I would think you could pick up a used set of AFR, Trick Flow, World Products, Blue Print ETC for around that price.

18. CobraCommander

Thanks for all the info guys!! Really appreciate it.

19. Mnlx

Everything i've heard about the Procomp/ Ebay heads from machinist buddies is that the seat to guide run out has been a common issue, and by the time you pay someone to make them right, you could have bought a better set. This was a couple years ago, so maybe they've gotten better.

20. nxcoupe

Ditch the carb idea, everyone thinks it's cheap and easy until they do it. I've read many threads that start out like yours, and after 30 pages they're putting an efi setup on it with a ford windsor, that's easy to do.