1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone used a TiAL V band turbine?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by TomR, Nov 5, 2018.

1. TomR

I have a new V band TiALsport turbo. I planning on replacing my T4 midframe. The T4 Borg sat OK on the flange with no other support.

This is still a midframe based off an S500SX 91mm compressor with a 1.45 AR turbine housing. It actually weighs a little less than the cast T4 system.

Will the 3.8 inch V band inlet be able to support the turbo reliably, or should I figure out a way to brace it? I think I can get a brace up to the compressor side somehow. It's pretty clear between the head and the compressor.

The V band turbo and old T4 are basically the same size. I'm just wondering about strength of a V band compared to a T4 flange.

My old turbo sits like this, so I have a possible shot from head to compressor. I think I can add some sort of triangulated bracket off the head running up near the compressor outlet. That would help support by holding the compressor.

enginePSfront.jpg #ad

Turbobottom.jpg #ad

2. B E N

Yes you need a brace.

3. TomR

Thanks, I don't really see a good place to add one other than trying to get something on the compressor backside or compressor outlet. The backside would involve welding I think.

4. B E N

You can weld to the turbine housing fairly easily, or weld reinforcement to the up pipe and weld to it

5. TomR

The header pipe is plenty strong and boxed below the turbo. My only worry is the flange breaking.