1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Headers, SBC Up and back

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Bucky, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Bucky

I don't know if I have asked before. Having trouble finding gen 1 sbc headers, up and back, and NOT tight with the valve cover. I have larger valve covers and the coils are on the valve covers. So I need a little room for spark plug wires.
    This is for a rear engine dragster. I may end up welding my own. But some of the fabbed ones are much cheaper than what I will have in them.

2. wht73

Just an idea, could you use these except face them backwards and turn the turbo elbow up?
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. 91turboterror

How about a set of ram horn or street rod headers/manifolds and fab a short pipe with a flange and fit it however necessary

4. Bucky

I would like them behind the engine preferably. Those kyostars I have seen somewhere. If I remember correctly, they hug the valve cover. That's the style I am most interested in though.

5. wht73

[​IMG]#ad
    The headers I posted if rear facing the vband part is 4-5” past the head.
    Here’s a pic. Just trying to help. Lol!

6. Bucky

That might work. How is the valve cover clearance toward your front? Mine are more squared off and taller by a good amount. And the coils are on top. It appears that there would be plenty of spark plug wire clearance on one side. But hard to tell from that picture about the other side.

7. wht73

upload_2018-11-5_6-45-3.png #ad
    I didn’t buy them yet! Probably tonight.
    Here’s another pic from the site. I forgot you have coils on the vc. Looks like it should clear.

8. Bucky

For some reason I don't see a picture?

9. Bucky

I see now that those are cx racing from your thread. Some of the pictures look very close, and others look a lot more generous. I guess worst case I could fab up some adapter plates between the head and the flange to buy me the space I need. Those look like a real possibility.

10. wht73

Yeah the passenger side is hard to tell with the down pipe in the way.

11. Bucky

What are your plans for accommodating the waste gate plumbing?

12. wht73

Looking at these
    [​IMG]#ad