1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Header wrap intake?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boosted90lx, Aug 20, 2005.

1. boosted90lx

I have a home built turbo kit... t-70 set up like the bg kit. My down pipe runs under my intake pipe. I wraped my downpipe and temps seemed to go down but if I wrap my intake tube will it hold heat out or trap it in?

This is an intercooled kit and the pipe from maf to tb is the one getting hot... I just dont want to heat soak it.

TIA!

2. 86GT

I wrapped my cold side as well. It runs right over the downpipe and only has about 1/8" in clearance at one point, so I decided to try the wrap on it. I originally had the downpipe wrapped, and not the maf to throttle body pipe, and it would get very hot to the touch. With it wrapped up, I can easily tell by touching it that the wrap is helping. I don't have any way to measure the inlet temp differences, but I would have to say it is working pretty well. Hope this helps, just my .02

3. boosted90lx

4. savethefoxbody

Same problem here. I have the BG kit and the TB pipe gets smoking hot. Im thinking of wrapping it and putting a turbo blanket

5. TwinturbostangMark

I had mine coated inside and out by Airborn coating. It helped alot.

Also there is a new coating that you can put your hand on the header while the car is running, so i guess it hold even beter than what i have. MAybe somthing to look into.

6. boosted90lx

where did you see that coating?

7. TwinturbostangMark

I guess its like a porcelain type coating very similar to what Air Born uses, Just people talking about it.

8. TT_05_Stang

9. gETFANged

Same here