1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How to vent pcv to exhaust

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mob, Dec 16, 2009.

1. mob

Hey guys I am thinking about routing my pcv to my exhaust. I am just not sure how to connect the pcv to the exhaust. If you put a rubber hose on the downpipe it would just melt correct? What if I were to weld -an bungs on the down pipe, and bungs on the valve covers and use stainless steel hose? How else can it be done? Pictures are welcome.

2. 10secgoal

Not with a turbo, won't work. There is back pressure in the DP, which will do the opposite of what you want it to do.

3. MONTEGOD7SS

In the exhaust itself it might work, but in the downpipe up-pipe no way. Best bet I think is to plumb it back into the intake side before the turbo to let that suction draw it out.

ETA: Meant in the exhaust it would work, in the UP-PIPE no way.

4. turbo347frd

Plumbing it to the intake side before the turbo is a bad idea, it will draw oil in with it and send it straight to the engine. oil=low ocatane

I have mine plumbed to the exhaust and it works fine

5. 10secgoal

Does it work, or not not cause issues ? Saw one guy try it and turbo started leaking. Could have to do with size DP's and mufflers...

6. turbo347frd

it works with no issues, it is tied into the exhaust at approx 36" downstream from the turbine housing. I have a single chamber flowmaster approx. 36" downstream of the PCV tie in point. DP and exhaust pipe is 3"

7. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Umm I have mine plummed into my downpipe about 12 inches back. It worked so well I had to put a adjustable valve cover regulator on it. I then had to replace the front intake seal that got sucked into the motor and leaked oil everywhere.

It works just like a venturi in a carb the gases crossover the end and through the small slot creates a lower pressure. I dont see why it wont work on a street car as long as you have a decent free flowing exhaust.

I used a pipes of pipe with the same pipe thread the check valve off of a smog pump setup. Then cut the end at a 60 degree angle and then cut a little notch above that. Kinda looked like a whistle. I then installed it at a angle into the downpipe . Hook the hose to the other side of the check valve and up to the valve cover.

[​IMG]#ad

8. mob

ok so now I am even more confused. You can run it to the exhaust but not the downpipe? Do you guys mean the exhaust before the turbo? I dont want to run it to the intake at all because I dont want to risk any oil going in my intake. And again how do I actually connect the hoses to the exhaust pipe? And do I need to worry about oil getting in the exhaust? I was thinking about just running them to a vented catch can, would that be optimal?

9. turbo347frd

ok so now I am even more confused. You can run it to the exhaust but not the downpipe? Do you guys mean the exhaust before the turbo? No it needs to be after the turbo

And do I need to worry about oil getting in the exhaust? Mine has been this way for approx. 8 years, no problem with oil in the exhaust

And again how do I actually connect the hoses to the exhaust pipe? I have attached a pic, it's not my car but it does show how it's connected

Moroso makes a kit (Moroso 25900 - Moroso Crankcase Evacuation Systems)

pcv.jpg #ad

10. mob

Awesome thats the info I was looking for. Last thing is I am not going to have much of an exhaust. My turbo will be on the driver side, and the downpipe is going to come around the front of the motor to the passenger side and go right over the header, then turn down and probably stop right before the passenger side seat. Where do you suggest I put it? Or I guess I just need to know how far down the exhaust it needs to be?

11. mob

Is this sarcasm? lol I cant tell, sorry.

12. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

Nope it's not.

When I first installed mine I didnt have any breathers on the valve cover because i didnt think it would work worth a crap. I was wrong and with only the seals to leak air into the motor it ended up pulling my front intake seal into the intake valley. So after that I installed a adjustable regulator from summit that doesnt let the vacuum get to out of hand under wide open throttle high rpm.

I have mine ran into the downpipe right after the first bend, seems to work great. I never have oil in the exhaust and I dont have any blow by either rings seal great lol.

13. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

All also dont waste money on the kit from morso. Go to lowes and get a piece of 12 inch long pipe with the pipe threads already on them. Cut it in half with a 45 degree cut and notch it just like the pipes in the pics. Should cost you about 4 dollars.

Then use two check valves off of the stock smog line that goes on the back of the heads on the 5.0. You should be able to find these anywhere.

Then use heater hose/ -10 an hose / or vacumme hose that is big enough and run it to nipples on your valve covers. Make sure they are shrouded from underneath so it does not suck oil out.

Then make sure you put a adjustable regulator on the valve cover so you dont create second problems.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/22633/10002/-1

The one in the link above is more expensive there are cheaper ones though. I just couldnt find it quickly.

14. bgjohnson

I guess it's all in the exhaust after the where the breathers go then.

Had a friend that tested pressure in the crankcase with one of these systems, the sensor was in dipstick tube.

Under WOT he was seeing more pressure on the crankcase then at idle. Had to take it off because it started to leak oil everywhere. BUT, I think he did not have a straight through muffler design. Ideal would be right near the tip of the exhaust where no back pressure is or after a muffler.

15. 10secgoal

huh, sorry for the bad info fellas. Only time I saw it, it didn't work.

16. mob

Thanks for the info and link. What exactly does the valve cover regulator do? Do you remember what brand you got? I am having trouble finding a cheaper one, what should I search for adjustable regulator? Vacuum regulator?. Also what is the importance of cutting the pipe at a 45* angle?

17. UJUSTLOST

I have a -10 hose running out of each valve cover to a catch can with the PCV plugged. Could I install an evac kit in the downpipe and attach to where the stock PCV went for additional ventilation/suction?

18. turbo347frd

I don't see why that would not work, just make sure that you have some type of breather in the valve cover so that the evac system has some where to draw through.

19. B&G CUSTOM TURBO

There wouldn't really be a benefit if you left it open. You want to create a small vacuum in the engine to help seal rings. Block off the catch can breather then yes.

And add a regulator.

You want the air to flow over it and create a vacuum. I imagine a 90 degree end would work somewhat, just not near as well.

The regulator allows some air to bleed into the engine so you do not create to much vacuum. Which can cause other issues, gasket leaking among those.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=17200

It's towards the bottom of the page it's called vacuum pump relief valves.

20. UJUSTLOST

What is the purpose of the notch cut in the short evac pipe just above the 45 cut?