1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

header wrap and intake pipes?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by S-Dime, Feb 4, 2016.

1. S-Dime

After doing some reading online I'm still asking myself the same question. My intake temps are ranging from 90-120f with an ambient temp of 35-55f so im worried about how they will rise in the spring and summer. My question is, does anyone have any thoughts on using my left over header wrap on the intake pipe after the intercooler? I read a lot of guys saying it will only trap heat but a lot also say they have seem gains.

2. silverback

Is that measured before or after the turbo?

3. S-Dime

After

4. Jeremy

What setup/boost level and intercooler?

5. devo9er

Where is the turbo pulling air from? Whats the airflow to the intercooler situation like? You might drop a few degrees with header wrap on cold side pipes but i feel like significant gains can often be had on a lot of builds with a little rearranging or ducting if you're not already. Just an idea

6. S-Dime

20160124_152336.jpg #ad
    20160124_152336.jpg #ad

7psi with a small side mount air cooler from an audi that is located at the inlet for the factory air box

20160124_152336.jpg #ad

7. S-Dime

I don't think the air flow is the best . I have a larger front mount that i am going to look into mounting .

8. pavementpounder

Your coldside is very close to the hot headers side, so reroute that pipe should help a lot.

9. supedstang

I did it on mine last year and it seemed to make the intake hotter to the touch, I dont have any measured temp differences but it definately held in the heat more. I took it off and wrapped the exhaust better.