1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cost to build twin turbo 350 TPI?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mikej, Mar 30, 2010.

1. mikej

Just wondering the estimate cost of parts to build a twin turbo 350 Chevy with TPI injection. That's pretty much my dream engine for my car. Lets say you went with quality parts but nothing too fancy if not needed. I'd want somewhere in the arena of 550 hp at the crank and 650 + lb ft of torque. Want it to be a reliable street engine but with a lopey cam. Probably aluminum heads and definitely a forged bottom end. Intercooled also. A ballpark figure, does 5-6 grand sound about right just for the parts? Including full exhaust, all accessories, everything... I have a 350 in the car but it's an old '73 2-bolt main, probably cost the same to redo it as getting a new block.

Thanks! Please share any input.

How does this rotating assembly sound? - Scat forged crank and rods, Speed Pro forged turbo pistons

2. patl

I got right at 2k in mine and it a junkyard build (stock engine with a cam change). I still have a long way to go (It runs).

For comparison, there's a shop here that will do a complete twin install for 4500-5000 but that assumes the rest of the car is allready built for the setup.
    Check out some of the JY builds on here.
    If you do the work yourself you can save alot.

3. Orr89rocz

IF you build it yourself, 5-6K can go along way.

Figure 1300 for a rotator plus balancing
    1000-1100 for turbos if you go master power.
    200 for bov
    350-500 for wastegates
    300-400 in manifolds+piping for hotside (not including rest of the exhaust)
    200-500 for intercooler, depending on what you get.
    1000 for heads/cam depending on what you get, dont need much special here but most aluminum heads are in the 1000+ range anyway
    Cleaned up L98/zz4 vette heads would work ok but you need a 24cc dish piston to get compression down to 9 to 1.

Your at about 5000 there, and you will need to make sure you have injectors/probably be best to go alittle aftermarket on the TPI intake stuff since stock stuff doesnt flow good at all. Run 91-92 TPI ecm with modified code $59 (gmc syclone/typhoon code) to handle the boost. Need 3 bar map for that setup. Oil lines/etc add up.

Could easily see 1000+ in misc parts. 6K can be done but depends on how you shop and how much you can do on your absolute own.

4. mikej

Thanks, very helpful!