1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

mopar guys...rear mounted turbo?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by chrisf, Jan 14, 2009.

1. chrisf

anybody here with a mopar running a rear mounted turbo set up? i have a spare late 70's big block shortbox pickup thats kinda screaming for rear turbo. was looking at the STS kits but the air cleaner looks a bit of a issue being mounted at the rear of the vehicle. wouldnt dust, water, road stuff, road heat all be a issue? what about oiling it?

just still in the dreaming stages but curious what you guys think, would be a mild toy, not huge power.maybe 700 tops

2. Tygy

I don't think it would be too hard to modify the air intake/filter assembly, to draw from inside the bed to minimze the potential for water, etc.

They accomplish the oiling, via a return pump, that pumps back to the engine. It is the primary unique item that is needed for remote mount systems.

3. chrisf

thanks TYGY

so where would a guy find one of these pumps other than STS? i think the fab part would be easy to do. stuff liek the pump would be the issue i am worried about.

4. Anthony Fury

A few here have done DIY rearmounts: search in the DIY forums for them.

All hassles, but that's what people want apparently.

5. furious70

Should be plenty of pumps that would suit the bill, doesn't have to be a special rear mount oil pump.
    I think you'll find several truck guys on here that'll show you that there's plenty of room in your engine bay tho. There's so much room in trucks I don't see a need to rear mount. Twin turbo hemi in a Plymouth Arrow, sure, maybe rear mount makes some sense :)

6. blown71duster

a few guys running them... I think it would be cool to leave all the plumbing hidden and run the cold side into the back of the engine under a big mopar oval air cleaner and look stock ,with a mild turbo cam , can you say sleeper.

7. chrisf

thanks guys. i appreciate the advice.
    looking more at the STS stuff its $1800 for the basic kit. thats not a huge amount of money so i may go for it.
    my main issue is it being a kinda rare truck and hacking anything isnt something i want to do. the rear mounts for this set up would be so much cleaner.

8. CW25

I have one mounted under the hood of my truck. It is FAR from a show truck but I only cut the one inner fender well. Everything else is as it comes from the factory... At least as far as the body goes. Tons of room to play under there. :2thumbs:

9. topfueldart

I wouldnt wanna cut it either, looks really nice chris... Unfortunately the sweet filter setup will have to go....

10. Anthony Fury

Nice looking truck.

How "big" is that BB? I looked at the STS universal kit...I'm pretty sure I'd never try a single T4-flanged anything on a 440, rearmount or not.

And, $1800 is only the beginning. Are you budgeted for:

Carb mods (if staying carbed)?
    Some method of timing control?
    Fuel $y$tem?
    Wideband?

I think you're in for "hacking" too, rearmount or not. It's how you hack it that counts.

11. chrisf

i do realize that the $1800 is probably about $1000-1200 short of the total cost. I am not new to forced induction but new to turbo's. I have some good core carbs that i can get modified. thinking a MSD 6BTM that worked well for me last time. that current big block is small its a stock stoke 383. i wouldnt use that set up, i would step up to a 400 based engine set up for boost,
    i know i still need all the ducting, carb hat clamps ect ect.

i suppose first move would be to check with STS and see what they sugest for my turbo and post back here to what you guys think.

12. dodge turbo

x2 on what are you going to hack....check out CW25's big block build, its all in where you want to place the turbo whether or not you hack stuff...that lil "383" will scoot with a S475 on it

Also that thing is a lil far from "stock" so i dont know what you are worried about but a very nice clean truck :2thumbs:

I think i spoke with over at moparts.com also??

In my opionion when everyone first comes to this site, its rear mount this rear mount that all because of this STS trend they started...here are some minus's to that system

All the additional UNEEDED ducting, an external oil pump(which will most likely fail), undersized turbo, an im sure a lil "hacking" to get it all to fit under the truck

If your worried about the sleeper look(unless you do alot of street racing) that is far from gone with your truck, plus if you show it which im sure you do theres the wow factor when the hoods open and BAM turbo city :angel:. reguardless the general public thinks trucks are slow and heavy so there are many unsuspecting victims out their, believe me if with that big front mount intercooler on my truck people still think its slow because its a TRUCK and many dont even pay attention and notice the intercooler....really how many old trucks have you seen supercharged let alone turbo'd

Again nice truck and consider your options...not STS ;)

13. CW25

I agree. That is a show truck and it needs a big polished turbo under the hood. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: I used stock manifolds to build my turbo kit off of. It fits well and is easy to remove. You could base the kit off of the sanderson block hugger and bring the pipes under the front cross member then up. They will look better than the stock manifolds. Just an idea...

14. rdakota340

I am working on a rear mount on a dart and it is costing quite a bit, more piping for the cold side and the cost of a scavenger pump $300.00 but it is all in what you want cw25 and dodgeturbo's truck speak for there self your truck is going tobe a sweet turbo ride.good luck

15. chrisf

show truck? i would rather gouge my eyeballs out than show something.lol not my style. just a clean driver i guess.

Dodge Turbo, yes we have talked on moparts.

i guess my main concern is all the money i have allready spent underhood (especially the headers) which i would have to lose if i went underhood. i like the opinions though and not going to just jump into anything yet. there is probably $1000 into just the headers with the ceramic coating.

i have all the room out back, just thought maybe it would be a cleaner set up and it woyuld be a bit more cost effective. sounds like alot of you guys are dead against it and have alot more experience than me. what are the issues? i dont have to deal with STS i can fab my own set up, just thought thier set up woudl save some headaches

not a race truck or a show truck, just something to make myself giggle when i stomp the gas.

16. rdakota340

And giggle you will have heard of KRC performance they install STS set ups on some ram trucks .oh welcome aboard

17. dodge turbo

i hate "shows".....i more or less ment cruise ins...we have lots around where i live during the summer, just kinda of car hang outs for old cars you know..

Sell those $1000.00 headers and buy some fabbing stuff and get to work....if you do decide to got the remote mount route, im sure you could buy all of the stuff included in their "starter kit" for half the price on here

18. stroked438

Why not just go Procharger and keep your headers. It would look real nice with a polished D1SC under the hood. I am in the process of putting a D1SC on my 68 Charger.

19. dodge turbo

One word "Different"....you can just bolt on a supercharger from the supercharger store...plus a prime example....look at Blown385's build, he went from a D1sc to a S480.....15psi on procharger, 10psi on turbo and made the same power....also less gearing and less convertor than supercharger...and that annoying whineing noise everywhere you go..esp if you want it to be a sleeper, no turbo noise until you nail into it

thats my 2cents :cheers:

20. rdakota340

yea not to say they don't make power but the turbo thing is wild I changed from a D1 to turbo it is tome a lot tamer and more fun to drive !