1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

T76 Stock 04 Cobra issues

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by 1mixdup, Sep 25, 2012.

1. 1mixdup

Finally got me car together and had it strapped to the dyno and the car was down on power. I have a stock long block 04 cobra with a Turbonectics T76mm .96 a/r Q. On 15-18lbs of boost on pump gas (93 octane) it made 639rwhp. There was several things that was going on with it on the dyno. At one point the tuner said that he think the car is starting to flow valves, and then the issue came that we couldn't make anymore boost (the waste gate has a 13lb spring in it). I have an eboost2 controller so i'm not sure why we can't make anymore boost? Also, am i expecting to much from this setup? I'm trying to get to 700rwhp on pump...and spray a 75shot as a bonus. My other question is my car spools like one of those big turbo supras...I don't hit full boost until around 5800 and 6500 is the limit. I was told by my tuner that the crack pressure or whatever is adjusted to the max but it doesn't make sense if its adjusted properly i should make full boost wayyy before 5500-5800. Any help to get this all straigthend out would be great! :bang:

2. MyLittlePwny

Any exhaust leaks? If I had to guess, I'd say valve springs and the cam timing sounds way off. Doesn't help that it's a low compression deal

3. blown99

I would be checking that wastegate and eboost set up. An electronic boost controller should be good for 200% over the spring pressure rating. It should also be spooling pretty quick. A wastegate hanging open would cause both of the above.

4. 99TTGT

video?
    every car is different, that said pushing a car too hard on pump gas = lost of broken parts.
    you should be happy.numbers look good.
    IMOP i would invest in a set of comp springs, i use to have the same issue back in the day..

5. jaredsamurai

not that this is anyway modular specific but on another cobra build like yours, a crossover pipe flex joint fell apart internally and was really quorking the HP and spool for a similar set up. I think it was something like 600whp at 14psi with this thing in the works.

[​IMG]#ad

6. 1mixdup

I do havea header leak now but when it was on the dyno it didn't have that leak. And how do i know if the cam timing is off without checking it... I mean will it make like a misfire noise, will it run funny, etc...

7. 1mixdup

Thats what my tuner thinks...he said he's gonna check it out again...

8. 1mixdup

Hmmmm once you put the comp springs in the car how hard where you able to spin the car with them in?

9. 1mixdup

are you talking about the exhaust crossover flex pipe?

10. stangman9897

Yes any flex joint in your hotside.

11. 99TTGT

I always had spin it to 7200rpms with the oem cams.

12. 1mixdup

Stock cams and springs and you were spinning yours to 7200 with no problems? Has anyone else out here done that? I've only spinned mine to 6400...

13. blown99

I see a lot of guys making closer to 700rwhp with 20psi with this set up. I have a similar set up, no dyno numbers yet as i maxxed out my 60's and my MAF at 20 psi. I thought the stock valve springs were ok for this power level?

14. 1mixdup

I have no idea? All the setup i've seen no one really is stock anymore...and you're right all the guys i seen making 700rwhp is pushing 20 psi. I haven't been able to get mine to make 20 psi yet. I'm trying to figure out what could it possibly be. What did you make so far...i know you said you haven't dyno it yet, but how do you know without data logging that you maxed out your fuel and Mass Air without dynoing/data logging it?

15. blown99

I tune my car myself, I datalog with either livelink by sct or my tweecer. I am hitting 4.8v on the MAF with a draw through and 105% with the injector duty cycle with a climbing 11.7 AFR. I had high iat temps the last time at the track, as a result, I was only running 9 degrees of timing. It ran a 10.8 at 127, way below what I expected, but I am sure I lost power with so little timing. Car weighed 3700lbs at the start line, 20 psi.

16. 1mixdup

I see....