1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

head gasket bore size in relation to cylinder bore?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by bamf88, Sep 3, 2008.

1. bamf88

this is something i've been wondering about for a while, is there a general rule of thumb for what size head gasket to get compared to cylinder bore? .010" over? .030?

for example stock 4.00 inch cylinder bore = 4.010"? 4.030"? headgasket bore? i need to put new headgaskets on my shortblock before i drop my turbo kit on but i dunno what to get.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

2. Brian Adams

Generally at least .030" - Some of it depends on what gasket is available (Ie: many are 4.100 bore, but work fine on a 4.00). You also have chamber designs that are large bore that should be considered.

Too small of gasket bore hangs the fire ring into the cylinder/chamber, creating hot spots and potential issues.

Brian

3. knkfiend

so if you have a .040 block, you want at least a .070 gasket?