1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

having trouble with FAST and 5.4 mod

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by boner, Oct 31, 2008.

1. boner

for the life of me, i cant get this thing to operate correctly. called john mahovich and he said he had the same type of problems, and he gave me aphone number to one of his buddies but no answer. its a twin 5.4, 160lb injectors, and obviously a FAST.

no matter how much i fiddle with the tables, im having trouble keeping the motor from popping at a mid rpm. i almost got a clean idle but not perfect. has anybody had this type of problem and what can i do to just get me going in the right direction?? im looking for fresh ideas and maybe some obvious stuff. i feel like im missing something. any and all info appreciated. thanks!

2. gryphon68

Any logs?

Stock or aftermarket crank trigger? Dizzy or Coils?

Is your FAST B2B or Sequential?

3. boner

no logs yet. just got it to idle without stalling. ford crank sensor, weapon x coils, and sequential.

if anybody else needs more info to help me out, feel free to ask. i know i didnt provide much in my first post.

4. gryphon68

Either watching live data or logs make sure you have a smooth signal for crank trigger rpm. Spikes are a sign something is wrong.

Have you been able to get a timing light on it yet to confirm the timing?

5. boner

i called FAST and they said make sure the block label grounds are at the block and chassis labled grounds go to negative post on battery. i did this, but havent checked for spikes. i did confirm timing. i cant imagine that the phasing or timing could be too far off, the crank sensor cant really move. but like i said, i did confirm timing. made a little bit of progress tonight my playing with the TPS table.

6. gryphon68

Is the crank trigger wire run shielded? and run away from sources of noise, like injector and ignition circuits?

7. boner

yes.. i will double check and make sure that there is absolutely no interference though.

8. boner

crank trigger wiring in the clear.

9. boner

got on the phone with FAST today and they walked me thru some steps. it seems i may have a faulty XIM box. just waiting on a loaner to show up.

i shouldve built a big block....

10. boner

got the system back in the truck. its better, i even drove it down to the gas station. after talking som more with fast, theyre telling me to set the TPS at 50%. it makes sense i guess. the FAST system setup apparently only allows a certain amount of dwell under 50%. when 50% or higher, the coils will fire at full dwell. this would explain my rich condition as well. anyway, ill set the TPS and we'll put it on the dyno tommorrow and see if we can get the driveability sorted out so i can start driving this thing and break it in.

11. boner

after hours and hours of troubleshooting and trying to find the problem, i could not get the truck running 100% properly.

went to the LSx coil setup and it cured all problems. truck purrs like a kitten with only a couple of trouble spots. truck is completely driveable and starts every time. FAST says the LSx coils have a much longer dwell time allowing better overall function of the whole setup. makes sense to me. anyway, going to try and get to the dyno today and get a low boost pump gas tune so i can seat the rings.

12. boner

truck runs great. made 700 at the tires on pump gas yesterday.