1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Oil Catch Can, How to?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by sandbum, Sep 3, 2014.

1. sandbum

306 turbo motor, carb

Need some help mounting the oil overflow can, I understand one hose gets hooked up to the PVC tune on the valve cover.

From my understanding and please enlighten me I need to draw vacuum to pull trough the canister, but where can I pull vacuum? Can I run a hose to the downpipe will this supply effiencent vacuum?

I searched and couldn't put together a clear answer at least with me understanding it.

Thanks in advance

2. Monzsta

The pcv valve gets it's vacuum from the manifold. The catch can merely goes in the middle of the hose to catch the oil drool that normally get sucked into the engine.The catch can is completely enclosed with a drain and sometimes a sight glass as well as two nipples for your pcv line. The other kind of catch can is for crankcase ventilation. It will have a vent or filter on top and only one line from your valve cover. It will also catch oil pushed out under boost.

This one would be for your pcv line.
    [​IMG]#ad

This one would be for your crankcase ventilation (valve cover breather)
    [​IMG]#ad

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I would not use that kind of hose on one (the hose in the first picture). Replace it with vacuum hose rated for oil/gas.