1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

non intercooled fuel inj

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by jim wingo, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jim wingo

i have run only non intercooled Prochargers with carb's-curious if i switched to FI does it become a little hairy running w/o an IC-i have limited space up front because of the AC cond.
    i could set up a meth/alc/water spray system, if thats a good option-more just for the street, and starting from scratch so open to options
    prob use an LS engine, try and use the knock sensors, and AFR sensors
    did a search, but comes up with missing words, etc-crazy
    thanks

2. nmrazr

I am actually thinking of taking the front mount off my car. Going to do some measurements, but with our road temps here in Southern New Mexico I think it hurts more than it helps. That is on a street application, at the track I could cool it down, but who knows. I have run Methanol Injection on all my turbo cars. I think it really depends on your application and how you drive it.

3. Blazer0981

Switching to FI? Running a procharger means you're running forced induction already. So you plan on switching from procharged to turbocharged? You can run on pump gas with no intercooler and methanol injection. You just need to make sure the tune is right and you have some way to datalog and keep up with what everything's doing.

4. DeboDaddy

Fuel Injection... :stupid:

5. slow67

Run an A/W intercooler and let your A/C cool off the water.....

6. Turbo Drag Radial

I am doing exactly what you want to know.

I built a 418 Windsor back in 2008. Its 10:1 compression. Twisted Wedge Heads, TFS R intake. Non-intercooled EFI using Fast XFI. The turbo is a modified S400 88mm.

I started out running 110 octane leaded....no issues, ran as high as 20 psi...inlet temps just cruising around hang at coolant temp....so 170-180. When I step into it it rises quick to 255 which is the limit of the IAT sensor.

I switched two years ago to E85 and really like it.

My brothers car is a 302 with a GT42-76, runs on pump 93 and uses XFI. It has no intercooler either and runs damn good. On 10 psi it made 520 to the tire and ran 11.20 @ 129 on a 17" radial leaving off idle with a 1.90 60 ft.

I have monitored IAT's both using A/A and not.....the A/A certainly works to reduce IAT....but it also creates a blockage for the rad. My car makes so much power, even if I am leaving power on the table it doesn't matter.....but I don't think I'm leaving any power on the table using E85.

[​IMG]#ad

7. decipha

most of the serious race only setups that come to me don't usually run intercoolers

typically your ACTs should drop to just below ambient with adequate methanol

using EFI Dyno Tuning's algorithm, rwhp/32 is typical ghp for meth

8. stangwell

I been saying I was fixing to ditch my IC to and people make it sound like im crazy. All I do is drag race it and I feel like its hurting the car more than it helps and i only run 110 or c16 fuel at anytime I feel like the ic is a restriction on my car and I feel like it building heat