1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

has any one done BBC engine with twin rear mount turbos that works?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by studio57, Oct 31, 2008.

1. studio57

I got twin GT 42 garrett turbos and 509 merlin engine with procharger D1SC and im thinking to try out make those rear mount turbos and sell the procharger, but really would like to know if some one has done it before and has some tips and real facts .. planning to make about 800hp and lot of torque... now engine did have with procharger 686hp/886nm

2. L.C.B.E

they should do a rear mount forum. post all the specs on the turbos if you want a worthwhile reply, and how high are you revving it. it will work, if you go to sts website there is a bbf mustang running twins in the trunk.

3. 67 evil eleanor

This seems to be a great forum. It would be nice to have a "Rear Mount Turbo" section though.

4. studio57

im planning to get that 800hp in 8psi the turbous specs was something like 65 /75 a/r 1,44 i know the rear mounted turbos enjoy low a/r but these are the ones that i got.
    allso i have mass-flo efi on the engine,snow metanol injection,merlin iron oval heads. victor JR efi intake. PG with transbrake . it did run 11.5/ 196km/h this summer.

P1010052.jpg #ad

chevelle.jpg #ad

5. studio57

anyone? it seems that i have to make turboheaders and do it the "right" way :2thumbs:

6. Robert1320

Holy Cow 1.44 AR. Are these on T-6?

7. studio57

hmmm... not shure ... i havent reseave them yet, the seller is local turbo expert. to me 1.44ar sounds a lot but he wasnt shure about him self (didnt remember) but i can return those if they are not suitable to my engine. when i reseave those ill check the serial and seek it from Garrett web site, they dont have GT42 model that has 1.44 AR so when they arrive we see what they really are.

8. BlownShovel

I wonder when a pair of 1.44 twins would spool directly attached to a BBC? My 454 w/1.39 single turbo spooled in the 3000+range :huh:

9. turbotater

several fast rear mounts out there

10. Anthony Fury

There's a guy here (and elsewhere) with an old Pontiac that has a real sneaky twin rearmount BBC. The car makes a lot of power I think.

11. chevy..driver

Paul Majors just won drag radial in Orlando with rear-mounts on a 400+ inch LSx motor, so it can work.

Mike Murillo had rear-mounts on his "star car" for a while; but moved them to the front after he melted a couple trannies on the starting line, or so I've heard.

From an engineering stand point, rear mounts would definitely require smaller ex housings, because the exhaust charge has cooled by the time it reaches the rear, and is therefore more dense.

Unfortunately rear-mounts have a small following, so you may have to do some of your own experimenting to get it right.

As a rule of thumb, I've heard to size the exhaust housing(s) two sizes smaller for rear-mounts vs. what you would use up front.

12. studio57

lot of information on bbc turbos.... THANKS A LOT !!!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbs:

13. Brillko

You power figures with the blower. Is lower than my pumpgas 468 made.. N/A. Did you have any problems with it? Its low on torque and low on power.

You can use one of your turbos in a rear mount buildup if you want... And produce well over 1000nm and 800 hp.

14. studio57

I think the Procharger D1SC was too small for my engine, it did work just fine and the engine was new as well.