1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

guys using methanol/water injection

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by blueoval101, Dec 24, 2011.

1. blueoval101

im trying to research the water/meth injection stuff for my car. im running a 347, afr 185's, comp blower cam, vic jr, csu 750 carb. novi 2k non intercooled. ive looked at the anderson kit, i like the idea of no pump, but it looks like (and ive read on here) its a cheaply designed kit. i also like the idea of the nozzle mounted before the blower to cool the compressor temps and give it more time to atomize.

the cons i see for myself for one is putting meth/water thru the inlet of the blower, when im making shifts, the blowoff valve will open slightly, which im thinking will spray the meth/water all over the engine bay. i also dont want to alter my tune much, as its pretty failsafe where its at, afr starts around 10.8:1 low in rpms and at peak power/boost is steady around 11.2:1. i know adding meth will make my afr richer, so i was thinking of running mostly a water based mix.

i will be running 110 octane or c16 i just want to use the meth/water inj as an intercooler, not trying to get crazy numbers out of pump gas. im currently making 665rw on 10psi but i just ordered an 8'' crank pulley which should make 16psi or more. any opinions or comments would be awesome. thanks

2. leeperryracing

look up Rodney at AIS (alcohol injection sysmtems), the most well designed kit i've seen and he's a board sponsor who's always on here helping people even if they didn't buy from him.

3. blueoval101

i did some searching and he seems to be the leading meth/water inj guy so im gonna call him after xmas. gonna call him and csu kevin and get his opinion also. thanks

4. Bad Medicine Racing

I can already tell you Kevin is not a big fan. That is, unless he has changed his mind on it in the past couple of years. When I got mine, he didn't try to talk me out of it, but I could tell he didn't really like the idea. But then again I didn't get a fail safe with mine, and that might have been the reason.

X2 on the AIS kit, I really like mine.

5. AIS

if we haven't already spoken. Give me a call at 801.447.2559 and I'm more then happy to go over all the questions you have and tell you exactly what you can expect to gain from running a water methanol injection system and if it's right for you.

Rodney

6. AIS

Thanks for the support and comments. You can always add the failsafe or run the water methanol injection as an added safety net and not tune for it. Hope everything is working out with your system.

Rodney

7. Bad Medicine Racing

There is nothing like running 25+ psi with 93 octane and -20 windshield washer fluid. People usually have a bumfuzzled look when you tell them you are running pump gas.

I feel it was a great addition to my hotrod. I drive it on the street as much as I can and the freedom of being able to pull into any gas station and fill up is well worth the $$ spent on the kit.

8. tbird

Nothin wrong with the Anderson kit. May look cheap but its proven its self and im sure it was manufactured to keep cost down.
    What I like about it is its direct reference to boost.

My buddy has the kit on a 306 SBF with a YSI on 93 oct and 25 psi boost in a Notchback. Goes low 9s at buck 50.

9. jt351

The anderson kit will use quite a bit a fluid. My buddy needed to refill it about every 2 runs. Also when injecting it before the supercharger it will add boost because it makes it more efficient sealing the gap between blades and housing. and it works on the principle of the BOV only boost will allow flow, so if bov is open there will be no flow.

10. tbird

depends on how U jet it. Any of the kits can consume a lot of fluid if the restrictor is huge.