1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project "Sniper" Sn95 + Viper

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by cobra scott, Dec 1, 2008.

1. cobra scott

Project "Sniper" Sn95 + Viper

This has been a 2 year long build and now that it's in final assembly I figured I would post a complete build thread.

94 black Cobra. I have done some pretty extensive mods to the car but the most extensive mod is the motor swap that it is undergoing...

-Viper 8 liter V10
    -Twin ball bearing T-76 turbo's
    -10 point cage built in house
    -custom fabbed k-member, and control arms
    -custom fabbed trans mounts
    -firewall pushed back 10 inches

-Alcon 4 piston brakes with 14" rotors
    -Coil over suspension with Tokico Illuma's on all four corners
    -Forgeline SSP3 rims, BFG G-force KDW's
    ....and tons and tons of other mods. Every inch of the car has been built by me in my garage. We have since moved into a shop where the work will be getting completed.

There is literally too much work to the car to list so I will let you guys tune in as I update the build and ask questions if you would like.

Some will hate the build some will love it...I can live with whatever you think about it. I set out to build Mustang that has never been built before and I think this gets that goal accomplished.

I FINALLY got the stuff back from the powder coater ( 3 weeks late ) and thought I would post some pics before it goes in for the final install this weekend. Nothing really flashy about it. I got rid of all the Viper red and went with a textured black. I also had the coolant pipes, throttle linkage, oil pan, k- member, and numerous other odds and ends done in the metallic silver just to add some contrast. The stuff took longer then it should have but everything came out REALLY nice. Not a flaw on any of the parts. I have to go pick up the pulleys and a couple brackets in the A.M....the 2 into 1 charge pipe will also be getting painted on Monday.

You can also see the headers I fabbed up and bolted on now that they're back from Jet Hot...and yes I have to run the header wrap as much as I didn't want to. There will be exhaust heat issues and the back two cylinders sit basically in the passenger compartment.

I just got the paint laid down in the engine bay today after TONS of smoothing and prepping. Also got the k-member just bolted into place. I painted the engine bay with the same House Of Kolors Jet Black that the body is...but instead shot it with a couple coats of their Hot Rod Flat clearcoat....I wanted to keep everything clean and easy to keep looking good since it will be a daily driver. I should get the motor and trans bolted in tomorrow for sure

Nothing too exciting just gives you guys and idea of the size of the recess that had to be made in the firewall. Also you can see the k-member I fabbed up installed. Since I have already been asked that is NOT a modified UPR member. This was the first part I made for the car. It's 1/8" wall Chromoly. Sorry for how shitty the pics are...dirty lens and the black is dark it's hard to make out detail.

Got the mounts finished up for the radiator. I wanted something clean so there are no brackets or anything, it sits in a lower mount and then I modified the stock upper section so that when it is bolted in there are tabs on the inside that hold it in place. That radiator is substantially bigger then a 5.0 radiator. It's a 2 core aluminum GM Performance Parts unit that is their recommended unit for their 572 crate motor (and the inlets and outlets happened to work out perfectly)...so I hope it can keep a 488 V10 cool. I will be running twin Spal 10" fans on the backside as soon as the I finish up the shroud. The radiator is laid back 15 degrees. This gives it more surface area for the incoming air to make contact with. I want every bit of air coming in the front of the car to be doing something. Either cooling the engine, feeding the brake ducts, cooling the oil cooler, or feeding the engine.

2. cobra scott

Re: Project "Sniper" Sn95 + Viper

A couple pics before I got the oil pan powder coated

3. xlr8a4d

I am not a big fan of different makes mixed together but I have to say this is a sweet project !!! I would love to take a ride in that when its done,I bet it is going to be wicked.

4. boostedtorino

Im not a big fan of bastard cars either but this is bad ass man :2thumbs: like it a lot good work

5. cobra scott

Thanks guys...and I agree with both of you. Never been a big fan of senseless motor swaps but this is something I just had to do

6. ranger250x

this build just puts a smile on my face. as others have said i too am not a fan of mixing brands but i am a fan of the fabrication involved. I guess youll just use a T-56? Or other...? Mabey a GM automatic...? Cool build and best of luck :2thumbs:

7. chameleonstang

Good luck with the builld. Being diiferent is always cool. :2thumbs:

8. boostedtorino

what are you using for engine management??

9. deathbypsi

Wow! More pix please!

10. cobra scott

ranger250x - I will be using a stock Viper spec T56...they have been proven to be plenty strong. I would have gone auto but this will be my daily driver street car ;)

boostedtorino - I am using the stock computer with Vec 2 piggyback for tuning. Lots of Viper guys run this on 900+ hp Vipers. I will likely switch over to an AEM EMS at somee point

More pics to come tomorrow!

11. Pope

subscribing

12. boostedtorino

cool deal ..c ant wait for more pics

13. topher455

MORE...MORE!!

14. MiaBlackStang

wow that v10 looks like its at home...

15. topher455

What trans?? I didnt see it listed

16. cobra scott

Viper spec T56

17. topher455

Missed it in your sig :doh: shoulda known

18. 95gtnurse

nice build. :D

19. PrecisionTurboMustang

sweetest build I have seen yet!

20. cobra scott

OK, I know it's been a few days but I finally got some progress. I got the caster camber plates made which you can see bolted on. They are a pretty simple yet effective design. I had the "flange pieces" cut out of 1/4" steel with my buddies CNC plasma cutter and then I had the cylinders that the struts go through machined to accept the spherical bushings that the struts bolt to...I had planned to have them powder coated but I liked how they looked so much that I hit them with a scuff pad to put some grain in the steel and shot 'em with some clear coat.

Got the master cylinder bolted in and ALL the hardlines plumbed from front to back. I have the hardlines that come off of the Hydroboost system at a buddies shop getting AN fitting brazed on so I can just use standard AN fittings and braided line to mate the Ford system with the Mopar pump lines.

Also I have the motor bolted in as you can see. Sorry the pics are so shitty but I JUST snapped them quick on my way out so that I would have something to post...I'll take some better ones in the A.M. I at least tried to get a couple so you could see just how tight the clearances are pretty much everywhere.

(P.S. I know the car is filthy, I don't want to hear about it :mad:)