1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BlowThrough Carbed Mustang State Inspection

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by 89nothboy, May 27, 2007.

1. 89nothboy

Hey guys, been on here for a few years now just reading and trying to figure out what to do with my stang. I would love to go blowthrough but im in NJ and I need to pass inspection. Anyone have any experience with this? How can I get it to pass?

2. 89nothboy

does anyone with a carbed mustang pass inspection?

3. 89nothboy

so i should take it as no one on here with a carbed car passes inspection?

4. Injected65

I doubt that many (if any) on here with a carb'd setup have to worry about emission checks. That being said though, does NJ have a visual check or is it all checked at the tailpipe?

Chris

5. 87turbonotch

Connecticut has emmisions, but I'm not even close to running yet. I think as long as you have cats and mufflers and can get by the sniffer your all set here. I know a few shops with the emmisions dyno around here and I'm pretty sure that passing the sniffer and having cats are the only requirements for going through.

-Brian

6. 89nothboy

hey, thanks for the responce.. I also have a few local shops here that just put you on the rollers with the checker in the tailpipes. Thats how I get my spare car a 1987 Acura Integra inspected. So could I put some Cats on and try to pass inspection? Do I have to have the carb tuned a certain way?

7. 87turbonotch

That I'm sure of. I'd guess a lean mixture will be what you'll be looking for, but I'm not sure casue like I said my car's not running yet.

-Brian

8. slow67

A lean mixture and retard the timing some.

9. 89nothboy

This would just be a fun car for me to drive, Ive been on the NJDMV site and if you register your car as a collectable, its exempt from inspection. You can only drive it 3,000 miles a year, which isnt a big deal since id only drive it in the spring and summer.

10. fast1983

yeah, that's what i did. you have to get collector insurance for it. i got mine through grundy, about $250 a yr.

it's cool when you can show up at the inspection station with slicks and dumps, drive around the parking lot to prove the odometer works, and then they slap a triangular inspection on the window. good for another two years.

11. il_wolf_li

I am sure that you could go to a local mechanic shop that is emissions certified and throw it on their sniffer to check and see if it will pass the emissions test, before you go and throw it on the state's sniffer. I don't think it would cost very much to just throw it on their and then you would know where the tune was at. Good luck.

12. whiteghost

i passed no problem here in connecticut by adding a decent amount of methanol to my gas. left the jetting the same and the car was even drivable to the test center, I just didn't get on it at all to keep from going lean. the motor is a 350sbc with a mighty demon bt and a procharger p1sc with a mild cam.