1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dumped vs. Routed back in (waste gate)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by tuning haus, May 9, 2007.

1. tuning haus

i'm not sure what the consensus say here about waste gates being dumped out or routed back in to the exhaust.

does it cause much back pressure build up if it's routed back in? there have been some assumption that routing it back in would cause it to lose a bit on the power and flow on the exhaust side (obviously due to some interference from the merging of the exhaust gasses).

but i've seen a lot of even the big powered turbo stang guys run the waste gate back into the exhaust.

i personally would rather route it back in because it sounds way better IMO. it does sound "mean" having the waste gate dumped open, but having it routed back into the exhaust/dp sounds so nice, hearing the turbo whistle away :) sounds a lot more classy and less trashy :)

don't know if it differs between smaller motors and bigger displacements (dumping it vs. routing it)? this will be going on a 3.0L with possiibly a GT47-88, 4" exhaust
    and 60mm waste gate. so i'll be shooting for some big #'s and maybe at that level, it plays a bigger role? that's what most of the supra guys are running the waste gate dumped vs. routed back in.

just trying to see what the opinions on here were, if there were enough performance diffrerence between the two.

2. Robert1320

3. tuning haus

thanks for the link, but only a few answered the question without much facts to back it.

if someone has experiences with both or just tuned cars in general that knows, please chime in!

keep the replies comin!

4. PEARL MUSSIN

I routed mine back into the DP's because of the noise. An open wastegate is LOUD and sounds like shit IMO.

5. rickyhaiber

If your exhaust is big enough and your wastegate is sufficient for your setup, t hen stop worrying about backpressure issues, etc. and just plumb the damn thing back to the downpipe, then!

If the noise is that bad to you then why are you even asking the question? You'll be fine with putting it back into the downpipe, both ways will work.

6. PEARL MUSSIN

Yea, unless the placement is horrible I cant see it robbing much Horsepower.

Jeremy

7. tuning haus

well i'm glad most of you guys like it plumbed back in. i do too becauseo f the sound, but i am a performance guy 1st, then everything else later. so if it wasn't too much of a problem, then i'm gonna just plumb it back in!

8. luckythirteen13

one more vote for running it back into the dp