1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

octane on demand?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by bel-mor, Nov 12, 2013.

1. bel-mor

Hi,
    been pondering a turbo set up on a big block chevy. I have been reading lots of different ways to introduce extra fuel into the engine to keep afr in check.
    I read a thread where a person had added a injector by the carb hat that was wired to a pressure switch and fuel cycloid . could a person do something similar with a nitrous plate and just block off the nitrous side? just curios on what you guys think about this theory..
    thanks
    Billy

2. fastspec2

I run an octane on demand setup on my 4g63. 8 injectors, 4 for pump 4 for c16. a 5 gallon cell in the trunk with a big pump on it.
    I use Megasquirt to run the system and the dual table arrangement allows for one set to run off of VE1 and the other off of VE2 I use Fidle to control the big pump relay so it commes on at 100KPA. That gives plenty of time to build pressure but doesn't run the pump all the time. starting at 260KPA I start blending VE1 down and VE2 up untill by 300KPA VE1 is at 0 and VE2 is 100% controlling afr. The system required a bunch of sorting out but works great. I run 42-44PSi of boost and it requires no input from me to switch over or anything like that. There is no real safety net for the system, but it does work really well. I don't ever have to drain fuel, I'm not wasteing $10 gallon fuel idleing and I get the required octane when I hammer it. It really is the one thing on the car that sets it apart from all my other toys. No input to have fun, its always there ready for a big boost rip.

3. Twin Turbo Skylark

I am sure it is possible but you would need a reliable way to control the extra air and fuel and an on/off switch would not be very good.

You will have to either buy a blow trhough carb or modify a carb for blow through anyway and it should not be a problem to get the air/fuel ratio safe for the entire RPM range with some carb mods as needed.

4. Gen1SVE

Would a Water/Meth system satisfy your requirement?

5. Andy Dorsett

Dual fuel systems, meth, etc are all too complicated in my opinion vs the old fasioned way of reducing detonation threshold. That is by reducing static compression. You give up a slight bit of power but don't need anything fancy.