1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mufflers with cat back system and turbo?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Chris91LX, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Chris91LX

I did several searches and saw a lot of conflicting information. I'm currently running a 2.5" Dynomax super turbo cat back system. Are the super turbo mufflers going to create too much back pressure with my turbo system? My current setup is a 91 LX with a 347, AOD and a B&G turbo kit with a Precision pt76. I'm hoping to keep my cat back with tail pipes, if the super turbo mufflers will be too restrictive is there another offset muffler I can use with my current cat back? Thanks for any help.

2. conbread

you can buy some Hooker Maxflows they are offset and are straight thru..I just did a 3''dp with 3'' pipe out back with one 3''maxflow dumped and it is super quiet..

3. db1994

Ironic that super turbo mufflers aren't super for a turbo huh? ;)

Any straight through muffler will be fine. Dynomax Ultraflows, Magnaflow, Borla, Maxflows, etc. Anything that's straight through.
    The BG downpipe is 3.5 I think, so as long as the downpipe exists into dual 2.5's you should be fine as 2x2.5 is almost exactly the same flow capacity as a single 3.5

4. Chris91LX

Thanks guys, trying to keep my existing cat back right now, so I'll check into the mufflers you listed dBaseD. If it gets to be too much of a hassle I may try what you have Cornbread. :2thumbs:

5. GangBang Malloy

u have 2 kinds of straight through mufflers. the ones the sound good, and the ones that dont lol

if u dont care about sound then get whatever bullet type muffler or u can get the magnaflow magnapacks that sound the best from what ive heard.

6. TwinTrouble

I had the same super turbo cat back on my car with the incons. Pulled out the ST's and put welded ultra flows in there. They sounded great. Shit, i had about 1,500 miles on them and sold them to some kid for $20 a couple weeks ago.

-shaun

7. Chris91LX

You should have onto them for me. :)

8. 68mustang

ive gone 118mph with flowmaster knock offs (thrush chambered). 2 1/4" no less!! i know everyone is down on chambered mufflers( for good reasons for sure), but i like how it sounds now and its running fast so...eh :2thumbs: I definately wouldnt worry about changing mufflers if youre tight on funds is all im saying

9. Chris91LX

Thanks. Not looking to spend where I don't have to, I might just run what I have for a while and keep a look out for some used Ultra Flows. :2thumbs: Thanks guys.