1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Inlet pipeing

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by jim wingo, Nov 10, 2010.

1. jim wingo

i know pushing the air, like from the Procharger to the carb needs some nice easy bends, but curious on the intake side of the Procharger, since its drawing in air, can it be a little less "radius"-i know from my last car i gained a lot of power w/o the inlet hooked up, but disc. the whole thing, not just the filter, so i dont really know what was causing the rest.
    trying to snake the filter down to cooler air, not much room, i was goin to try and make a box like deal, have it drop down below the head unit, then plumb in a tube to the air filter-i was going to try and keep the vol of a 4" pipe, but not sure how it would work-my thinking is if its suction, and has the vol., does it really matter what the design?

2. Jake

Try to be as gentle as possible with the bends or use as large as possible ones. If your not trying to get everything out of the combo then it wouldnt matter too much. We had a 4.5" 45º elbow on an F-2 on a SBC and we picked up about 45 horse at the tire by removing it.

3. Blown440sst

you have to be very careful in both filter size and pipe size and shape. I had a 5" dia gently bent 180* and it killed about 6 psi boost.