1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Got my sleeper on the dyno!

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by dizuster, Nov 27, 2011.

1. dizuster

Well got it on the rollers Friday. The good thing is no engine parts came out the oil pan... so that was good... lol

Had a series of small issues (valve covers leaking, needed to hook up the boost controller so we could data log, etc...)

First few pulls the thing was WAAAAYYYY lean... like in the 12.5+:1 range... so we were careful didn't make any full pulls until we had that sorted out. Had to go up 13 jet sizes in the front, drilled the front PV restrictions from .086 to .096, and drilled the back jets from .125 to .136"... finally got the fuel under control... down in the low 11's...(on the gas scale)

Screwed around with the timing a bunch, and finally ended up at 472hp@5400RPM (13psi, 16 degree's total timing)... The thing just drives right through the damn converter. Flashes to about 5200 and just stays there until RIGHT at the very end and we pulled it up to 55~5600 but at that point the heads/cam were all done. Even at that point though, the converter is slipping like 18%. So we didn't know if that was because the dyno was loading it so damn hard, or if it's because the converter was just plain screwed up.

We were going to add some more boost, but even going from 11psi to 13psi started to lean it out, so we were afraid to go much more (not to mention there wasn't a whole lot of point since the converter was all jacked up).

So didn't really come close to hitting the number (I was hoping to make 600hp), but it all stayed together, and the car feels pretty good. Absolutely annihilates the 26 x 10.5 ET Streets that are on it from a 40mph roll in 2nd gear... Feels like it pulls pretty good in high gear, so I suppose we'll try it as is in the spring and see what it does.

I'll probably send the carb back to Eric at HP innovations to get it corrected though. It doesn't have BRPV's in it, and it seems like it could use them.

All in all, a little disapointed in the number, but happy as hell that it stayed together and at least made some reasonable power.

Here is the combo for those of you that don't know the build...

367" Small block Mopar (block 1/2 filled)
    Stock Crank/Rods (good bolts)
    Probe SRS series pistons (9.2:1)
    Stainless top ring/napier second
    Ported Iron '308 casting heads (250~260 cfm int. - 180cfm exh.)
    224/[email protected] cam .500" lift 114 lobe sep
    140lbs on the seat, 350lbs open pressure
    Old single plane torquer 340 intake
    Horsepower Innovations E85 Blow Through 750 (with CSU carb hat)
    S475 Turbo (75mm compressor, 96mm turbine, 1.32 A/R)
    NON intercooled (e85)
    2.5" hot side fed from stock dodge truck manifolds
    5" DP necked down to 4" out the back with a 4" Straight Through Muffler

MSD 6530 6AL-2 Timing
    MSD Boost controller

A1000 pump with A2000 regulator (-10 to pump, 08 feed, -8 to carbs, -8 return)

9.5" PTC converter through a 727 trans
    8 3/4" - 3.23 gear with a posi

[​IMG]#ad

2011-11-22_12-30-44_33 by wright2305, on Flickr

2. 440mark

Tighter converter the numbers will get better.

3. CW25

Congrats on the numbers but why so low on the timing? Thats like ford mod motor timing. This is a old school mopar... Even with the iron heads, compression and pump gas?

4. Alikazam

Yeah I'd think more timing is in order! :) And a better converter! :) Congrats on keeping it in one piece though! Can't wait to see what you get out of her with a little more upgrading :)

5. dizuster

We tried putting more timing in it, the plugs were NOT happy with that... lol It's not like a BB mopar where the chambers are just aweful. I mean even NA these heads would probably make peak power 32~34 total... so they aren't awful.

Iron heads, no intercooler, and E85 just wouldn't take it I guess... It had a fairly cold plug in it too (3932's)...

6. CW25

I never ran factory heads with this combo but it seems low even for that combo. Maybe a poor quench. A set of edelbrocks would probably be night and day difference. Get that converter tightened first and see how that turbo reacts. I would be interested to hear that part because my turbo is choked and that turbo is a cheap alternative. I am scared to lose to much spoolup.

7. NigelTufnel

Congrats on the numbers. Any day you drive it away from the dyno is a good day! I agree with the others you need a tighter converter and with that cam and gear I would try a larger diameter too while you're at it. Also agree, timing seems low. Maybe think about a methanol injection kit so you can throw more timing/boost at it. I would say you got lots left in her. :2thumbs:

8. dizuster

Lots of people have mentioned more timing, but has anyone on the board had experiance with non-intercooled, iron headed, small block mopars, at 9.2:1 that used more timing then this? I know it seems low, but if the plug is happy, the plug is happy right? Maybe it's just the combo of parts?

Converter is definately going to get tightened up.

9. stangboy86

i would run that kind of timing on gasoline, i would hope you could do better than that on e85

10. rdakota340

When does that 1.32 a/r come in to boost?

11. CW25

Probably hard to tell with that converter...

12. M&M Turbochargers

good numbers!!

13. dizuster

Yeah it was definately hard to tell when it came on boost with the converter so loose... it certainly happened pretty fast, but we'll see when it gets tightened up...

You would run that much timing on gasoline in a small block mopar, iron headed, 9.2:1 motor?

I added more timing and it detonated. Sooooo regardless of the number, I can't do "better then that"... lol Who knows, it might have only taken 10 degree's total if it were on pump gas?

Or you would run that much on a ford, with what head, what cam, what compression, etc.?

14. rdakota340

I run more timing on my Dakota even when I had the iron heads on it on pump gas,I had mine locked at 30* and pulled 1* out per # which I run 10.My tune was richer than yours though.

15. dizuster

Well maybe that's the answer then. Once I get the fuel in it, maybe it'll tolerate some more lead.

We'll see. Eric is fixing the carb, and I'm going to send the converter back after christmas. Should have it back on the dyno in feb. or mar.

16. Adventurer150

Nice setup, and very nice numbers!

Question?

What are your spark plugs gapped to?
    J/C.

Forced Induction tends to "blow" the spark out at normal gap specs. Might try going closer to .025"-.028"-.030"

17. Mad Dart

I had mine on the Engine Dyno but never got it on boost. 410 Stroker, 9:1 Compression, Iron Indy/RHS Heads, Solid Flat Tappet 241@50 .624 Lift, EFI/ Pump Gas with Dual Air/Water Intercoolers & Meth Injection that we never got into either. It liked 32* Initial Timing but we ran into ignition problems so like stated earlier we never got it on boost. Going to head back to the Dyno. I went to Crank Trigger and Home Brewed Dizzy for a Hall Sensor Pick up using a Nascar Reluctor that I ground 7 teeth off of. I am also adding 8 Separate D585 Coils so it will be a True Full Sequential.

Glad to see you got it running, I too believe there is more in your combination!!

18. Alikazam

Looking saaahweeet! :)

19. wade

that sounds nasty

20. 70wayfarer

Adventurer150 may be on the right track with the plug gaps. with my 360 Vortech V2 combo I had the plugs gapped at what MSD recommend. going down the track it reacted like it was on the limiter, so it was suggested by a fellow racer to close it up. i closed them up to .025 and man what a difference.