1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Got a 2nd intake: TFS-R lower/box vs. Spyder intake on 351W: Which will be better?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Dave88LX, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Dave88LX

I've had a ported Spyder intake for a while now for my build, but I pretty much got an offer I couldn't refuse to buy a ported TFS-R lower for 351W, so now I've got options. I would still have to get an upper, either a breadbox style or sheetmetal or whatever.

How will these intakes differ?

Just bought this today:

This is what I currently have.

2. Dave88LX

*bump* !!!

3. Disney Lincoln

That will depend on what upper you run with it.

4. spankustang

I'm curious as well!!

I have a Spyder on my 347. It works great, but would be curious of the HP difference between them as well.

5. 95silverstallion

Doesn't the "new" TFS upper bolt to the TFS R lower. Maybe thats a thought?

tfs-51500009[1].jpg #ad

6. kzunell

I like the ported spyder because you already have it drilled for nitrous foggers..

7. Dave88LX

Yes it sure is! :) Haven't decided what to do with that yet, probably just block them off for the time being with some plugs.

Yeah TFS has a boxy style upper for that lower, that's an option.

8. EXQQSME

I have a tfs-r and i like it but im sick of pulling it off.
    id go with a box like shown above or stick with your spyder i dont think you would ever beable to tell the two apart on a dyno. i might be wrong.

9. Novi357

I love my efi spyder. Easy as hell to take the upper elbow off, only 4 bolts. Makes a freaking ton of power.

10. TheShagg

Don't quote me on this, but the TFS R looks like it would get more even distribution of air, as compared to the spider where the runners have quite a range of lengths.

11. Dave88LX

Nobody knows? :stickhit:

12. fast4d

what are you going to shift at with a 351? 6k?

if so go with the TFS. more runner length will match your rpm range better.

13. Novi357

Either one will work well. Overall I believe that a ported spyder will out flow a ported tfs intake. In the big scheme of things it is probably a minimal enough difference that it won't really matter with your application. There are some concerns about runner length on the spyder and how it affects some cylinders being lean and others being rich.

14. MAT88GT

good porting can go a long way when it comes to distribution...but nothing is going to change the fact that the center 4 runners are a straight shot into the intake ports

the normal addage of runner length per rpm band doesn't apply to well when you're forcing huge volumes of air through those runners instead of pulling atmosphere in

15. Snipe656

Go with whichever one will clear your hood the best and cost the less in the end. So probably the spyder :p

16. Dave88LX

S'pose I'll go with the Spyder for now since I've already got the "upper" for it. Apparently then it doesn't really matter what kind of intake I run...