1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

LX Coupe LS Heart - First turby LS build!!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Disney Lincoln, May 29, 2013.

1. Disney Lincoln

Last night I picked up my next project. It's a nice Notchback with an LS swap halfway completed. Anything I know about it came from the previous owner. He got in over his head and wanted out. I liked the car, so I jumped on it. For better or worse, it's in my hands now.
    From what I gather, here's the basic rundown

Engine:
    5.3L from Suburban 120K mile
    Z-06 Camshaft
    PAC 1218 springs
    LS9 head gaskets
    Head studs
    Camaro LS1 pan
    LS1 intake and TB

Fuel:
    Magnafuel 750
    Summit pre and post filters
    80# injectors
    TFS rails
    TFS regulator
    -8 feed
    -6 return

Electronics:
    MS1 from DIYautotune (Pre-assembled)
    MSD 6010

Turbo:
    Stock manifolds
    2 1/4" hot side?
    Crappy looking merge
    Bullseye S475

Chassis:
    89 Coupe 4cyl
    AJE K-Member kit with A-arms and coilovers
    UPR rear arms
    8.8 3.31 gear
    Detroit TrueTrac
    Moser 31spl.
    SN95 Front brakes
    Fresh Highland Green paint
    Fatty/skinny FR500's

Trans:
    Jakes Performance TH400
    Circle D converter
    Hurst Shifter
    Lokar Dipstick

I still need to do a lot before it's road ready. Needs Driveshaft, downpipe, exhaust, interior is mostly apart, trans Xmember, Belt, alternator?, brake lines, mount IC, electrical (starter, lights, gauges), reassemble body (mouldings, locks, weatherstriping (all new)), Mash on this mother!

Here's some pics for now. I'll obviously update this as I get it sorted out.

Being my first turby LS i'm open to hear what some of you other swappers have done and had success with. I want this car to work, but I'm not trying to set the world on fire either.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. De-Marko

Looks good! Should be a great foundation!

3. M&M Turbochargers

should be a good project!!

4. TDmkr496

Sweet looking ride!!

5. Disney Lincoln

Moar pix.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Need to find out what everyone is doing for an alternator on these swaps. Pretty sure this one wire chrome deal isn't working.

6. TDmkr496

Look at my build, I made my bracket and used a stock truck alt. I can send you a drawing if you like it.

7. spray280

That's a nice lookin notch! I've got a friend with a 4 eyed notch and a 5.3 I'm trying to motivate. Subscribed.

8. Disney Lincoln

I would love it!

9. mustang-junky

Looks like you have a good start on your project. I kinda wished I went the LS route instead of stroking my 351. Keep the pictures coming.

Jess

10. chiaj144

I'm using the stock alternator mount but it won't fit under a stock hood. When you run the power wire from the alternator make sure you put a resistor in line or a light. I forget the details why but it will stop you from burning up your alternator. Our cars are very similar except for the cowl hood and tinted lights.

11. Mike86Stang

Great head start on that one Disney! Can't wait to see how it all comes together :2thumbs:

12. nj636

great project, should have it running in no time!

13. 93AlexCoupe

Nice build. Keep up the good work.

14. Disney Lincoln

Ordered:
    AJE trans Xmember
    New key lock cylinders all around
    Rear shocks (trying to find used drag struts)
    brake hoses
    Lokar throttle cable
    Lokar T-cable bracket for LS engine (looks trick!)
    brake hose adapter thingymabob

Got the car unloaded and into my carport area. I will get the trans X member in there first. Then get the brakes working, and maybe the shifter so I can have Park. Then I will tear out all the current hot side pipe and put in some new stuff that's up to my admittedly low standards.

15. Brickerz

Keep up the momentum! Great build so far. Can't wait to see it done :2thumbs:

16. De-Marko

Noice!!!

17. Disney Lincoln

Been working on my race car a lot getting ready for race this weekend so I haven't messed with the mustang much until yesterday. I did oredr about a grip in parts though and most of those are in now.

Engine as it sits now with Trans crossmember installed.

[​IMG]#ad

I am changing up the fuel system from how it was delivered. It had two feed lines to back of rails and two returns. I'm just going to cross over to the other rail, use a single feed and return. Am I stupid? Don't answer that......

I got the Lokar throttle cable in. Used thier mount for it also. Pretty trick I think, especially for the money!

[​IMG]#ad

I took the flange off the stock cable to use on the Lokar to keep it simple. Of course the fucking paint chips off when I unbolt it.....

[​IMG]#ad

AJE transmission Crossmember.

[​IMG]#ad

I was hoping somebody could ID the turbo as I don't know exactly what it is...

[​IMG]#ad

18. Forcefed86

Looking good!

Be careful with pre-filters and that pump. What micron is that? I used one of the summit disc type SS filters and they don't flow for shit. GEt yourself a nice pleated filter with more media area if thats not what you already have.

Turbo looks like a

S400SX4-75mm with Standard Cover
    96x87mm Turbine with 1.32 T6 Exhaust

Same PN as my s400sx3 anyway. That's def the big rear housing! Prob easiest to pop off the comp cover and measure it. Exh. housing exit should be 87 or 74mm.

19. Disney Lincoln

The foot on the turbo is a T4 foot. I measured and VSRacing hooked me up with the info. New flange on the way.

20. Forcefed86

I guess they do come in 1.25 t4 housings as well.

https://turbodaves.com/S400SX_Series.html

Also the Fbody alternator bracket works well. bolt it on. Drill and tap one hole and your set.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad