1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Going to EFI....rate my choices... advice on set-up?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 2stangs8689, Sep 16, 2008.

1. 2stangs8689

Getting ready to switch to EFI, just wondering if the EFI god's would look over my choice's, most of which I have not bought yet, just wanting some insight I guess BEFORE I buy. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, I'm in the reading phase now, so if you reply, please keep in mind that abbreviation's are not gooing to help...I'm :stupid:...lol.

Anything I should read that will help?? I have a friend who is going to loan me his Laptop with the FAST program installed so I can play with the table's and such.

New Combo will be as follow's:

FAST XFI w/internal Datalogger
    MSD 7531
    Crank Trigger
    Crank Trigger Dizzy

(already have)
    Super Victor EFI
    Wilson Elbow
    90MM Accufab TB and Spacer
    160# inj.
    Edelbrock rails

I already have a Aeromotive Pro Series Pump, and will be buying the Pro Series Reg. w/ Boost reference.

2. 2stangs8689

Don't be afraid to reply, I'm looking for criticism or thumbs up...I'd like to learn from the mistake's of other's so I can avoid the same pitfall's.

This is going to cost alot of cash, so I can't make alot of mistakes on this one.

3. BottleFed70

Hmmm, kinda depends on what you hope to achieve.

Your choice looks good.

If you want to save some $$ but spend a lot more time learning (AKA screwing around) you could look into a megasquirt ECU.

If you want to keep things simple and don't need all the bells and whistles, you could look into using the factory ECU with a piggyback ECU such as the tweecer.

4. 2stangs8689

I thought about going factory ECU, but the car is a 83, and the wiring swap, (to make it easy on me) would be tough, I'm not bad at wiring, but I'm not great either. Changing over the switch connections and all that crap is really not something I'd look forward too...lol

Goals are modest, I was making around 800 RWHP this year, but tuning the carb was a PITA, kinda sick of being under the hood constantly. I'm looking for a modest tune, maybe a small increase in power.

There's not alot of heads up racing around here, bracket is all we have, so I don't need max power, just a good bracket tune maybe a 9.0 index. I can't go any slower...the pull at the end of the track when the boost is coming on is too addictive.

I went 9.42 at 150, so I can't go any slower than that. :chacha:

5. Andy Dorsett

I'm assuming this is a small block Ford. I just did my car with a FAST system and decided to go COP (coil on plug) because it was cheaper and better. You read that right... cheaper. A set of LS1 truck coils (truck coils are better than car coils) are $100 on Ebay. The 96 Explorer cam sensor assembly is $30 on Ebay. These two items plus the XIM ignition module from FAST are less than the ignition amplifier and dizzy by a margin.

6. 2stangs8689

Yes...SBF....so the coil on plug route is cheaper and better than a 7531....what are you using for a 2 step, rev limiter and all the other things the 7531 can do??

I deal with small tracks up this way..not a ton of prep....was going to use the 7531 as kind of a traction control unit, using the slew rate.

Believe me, I'm listening, the 7531 is $896 on it's own, plus the dizzy and the $165 coil you need to run with it.

You still use the crank trigger right?

7. gryphon68

I think there is a FAST XFI traction control option now, not saying one is better that the other.

BTW, if you are going to buy all the right parts for the car, don't be a cheap ass and "borrow" a laptop. The loaner laptop won't be around when you need it. At least buy a used laptop for tuning the car and saving different tunes and datalogs. Even a P3 laptop is fine, probably only cost a couple hundred.

8. 2stangs8689

I was "borrowing" the laptop just to check out the FAST program, he doesn't have the disk anymore. I'm actually on MY laptop right now.

Believe me, a "cheap ass" I'm not, ask my wife... :bah:

9. Andy Dorsett

The unit I bought has traction control. Yes you use the crank trigger. That is what I did. I don't know anything about 2 steps or even if the FAST can do it with COP. The XFI has a rev limiter.

10. 2stangs8689

Have you had a chance to use the traction control?? Does it work well?? Without the 2 step, what are you doing for staging, if you race?

I don't suppose you have any part #'s on the stuff you mentioned??

I'd like to talk to my tuner and get his input, I'm totally new to this stuff, and really have no one local who can help with this so I'm kind of at his mercy....I really appreciate your help...and if I can save a couple bucks, the wife would be more than pleased...lol.

11. 2stangs8689

12. Andy Dorsett

That is what I have.

I have not tried the traction control or anything else for that matter. It is just running with little tuning at this point. There are features that will keep me busy for months. The boost control alone will take a good deal of experimenting. There is a $24 air solenoid you buy from Grainger that with the XFI gives you boost vr engine speed or if you hook up to the factory speed sensor as I did you can do boost vr vehicle speed.

I'm not a big racer and I don't run enough boost to have to worry about 2 steps or staging. My Cobra came with rear disks and I can get boost just foot braking. I don't even have a trans brake.

I am traveling until late next week but stay on top of me until I get you a list of everything I bought.

13. 2stangs8689

I appreciate your time...honestly.

I have a SC, so I don't think the boost controller will do me any good, and I race my car alot, so the 2 step is a must.

Take your time with the list, I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as I can so I can as to make a educated decision. I must admit, COP never entered my mind, but I do like the idea of saving some money, as this will be another $10,000 winter with my current plan.

Thanks again.

14. Andy Dorsett

Nobody's perfect.

15. 2stangs8689

LMAO.... I know, I know....not too many turbo guys in these parts, 1 that I can think of that I actually know...lol....there's still a chance for me yet....wanna buy a F2??...lol

16. Injected65

I don't have any input on the COP setup, but if you are planning on going with a standard distributor setup then ditch the crank trigger distributor and get a standard distributor and modify it to act as the cam sync so you can have full sequential. The crank trigger distributors are gutted and are only there to distribute spark, usually in a carb/crank trigger setup.

Chris

17. 2stangs8689

18. Injected65

Basically yes. There are several different part numbers of the standard distributor depending on big cap or small cap, 302 or 351, standard or tall (clear Vic jr)......

http://www.candbmotorsports.com/camsync.html

There is some info on converting a distributor for cam sync operation

Chris

19. 2stangs8689

It's funny you put that link up...I was just reading it..not that I understand all of it...but I'm sure it's something I could handle once I have the dizzy in my hand.

I'm OK with the mod, just not sure how it works.

20. Injected65

What you are doing is converting the sensor in the distributor over from a pulse on each cylinder to a single pulse for #1 cylinder. Some guys will break off all but one tab and call it good, but I like to go the extra step and make it adjustable so you can make sure and sync things in perfectly. The crank trigger signal will give the ECU the RPM information and the modded distributor will tell it exactly when #1 comes up. That way you can run the EFI in full sequential. Now there are other options such as the FAST dual sync and the Accel Dual sync distributors that put both the cam and crank signals into one unit, but most people go with the separate CT and modded MSD route.

Chris