1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Going to a larger turbo/ changing pipes, need some advice please 383 sbf/Falcon Coupe

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by XB383, Jun 12, 2013.

1. XB383

hey guys. I've built myself a turbo setup for my '73 falcon coupe (Australian Ford) with a 383ci sbf, and I'm looking to change things around a bit.
    I currently have a basic 76mm S400, 1.32 T6 turbo. Engine specs are SVO 9.2 block, Scat forged crank and rods, Diamond 22cc-dish forged pistons, CHI aluminum 225 heads, 8.6:1 comp, solid roller cam (Adv dur 288 int, 288 exh, dur @50 254int 258exh, .714/.714 lift, 114 Lsa), 80lb injectors, Megasquirt.
    I have a Reid-cased Coan powerglide with a 3500 Coan stall, and 3.5:1 9". 28" tyres.

I'm still at the tuning stage as the engine is new, but I'm already looking at upgrading the turbo. I'm looking at the 80mm S400SX with T6 1.10 rear, and possibly a race-cover.
    I know the 1.10 exh will bring the boost in sooner, which would be good on the street (where the car will spend 90% of it's time), but would it be too much of a restriction up top and on the track? Is the 80mm compressor ideal or should i stick with the 76? and, is the 80mm/1.10 a good combination a good one for my engine etc?

as for the pipes, this is my current set-up:

[​IMG]#ad

As you can see, the dump pipe drops from 5" to 3.5" right after the turbo, then it runs in to a tight 90deg bend, with another 1.5' after it. It eventually feeds into a twin 3" system. I'm guessing this is a huge restriction. Am i right in assuming this?

I want to turn the turbo around to face north-south, and have the dump pipe run alongside/above the valve cover, allowing me to remove the 90deg bends, and run a 4" dump. But this will wait until I change the turbo. I'll also lose the Ebay 'gate, and run a turbosmart or similar from the merge.

At the moment my main query is the new turbo, but any opinions etc on the piping is welcome too please :smiley:

thanks, Phil.

2. MONTEGOD7SS

Re: Going to a larger turbo/ changing pipes, need some advice please 383 sbf/Falcon C

The 1.10 you are talking about is with the 83mm turbine wheel, right? If so there's no way I would go with that wheel on a healthy 383. The turbo you have now can be upgraded so an 80mm. Oh yeah, that's a monster cam!

3. XB383

Re: Going to a larger turbo/ changing pipes, need some advice please 383 sbf/Falcon C

I was looking at this page, http://www.forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm and this turbo: S400SX-80 ETT** 1050HP 1.10 92mm T6 and T4 $1199

There's also an 87mm turbine unit just below. I guess the 92 would be better suited to my CI.

Yeah it's a healthy cam, Dave Storlien from Porting Dynamics spec'd it for me.

I also forgot to mention the car weighs around 3700lb's.. it's a bit of a heavy pig haha..

4. XB383

the other option i have is to just buy a 1.10 turbine housing to fit on my current S400. I'm unsure of what size my current turbine wheel is, but there is a 1.10 housing that fits right on. The cost of one does however go a long way towards a whole new turbo..

5. jridenour31

If you're talking about the 83mm turbine, then no, that's way too small for a 383, especially with a cam with 28° of overlap. You need a HUGE turbine with that setup. If you're dead set on a different hot side, go with an s480 with a 92mm 1.1a/r turbine and get a custom cam. Your post turbine exhaust is really hurting spool, too. 3.5" is too small. I'm guessing that's not a custom cam for your setup as it's awful. Personally, I'd get a custom cam and fix the exhaust before swapping turbos.

6. jridenour31

I walked off in the middle of my response and missed several replies lol. With a 383, a 96mm turbine definitely isn't too big. If they'rreally finally making a 1.1 housing for the 96mm wheel, that's the way to go. I've gotta be honest with you, that cam sucks. That cam is killing top end.

7. XB383

Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about cams. It's all voodoo to me.. I sent Dave @ Porting Dynamics all the details on the engine and car, and he sent me the above cam.

It's disappointing to hear it's 'not ideal'.. :sad:

8. MONTEGOD7SS

Jace (86xlnotch) on here is running the 92mm 1.10 and is hitting big backpressure with a stock 6.0L LS truck engine. I personally wouldn't want anything over 350ci on anything smaller than a 96mm wheel. That cam has 60° of overlap seat-to-seat, so you are going to need a huge turbine just to avoid backpressure. With a lot of overlap you end up forcing fresh air past the valve, adding more volume and more backpressure.

9. jridenour31

Bingo.

10. XB383

thanks for that explanation/advice, much appreciated. With the improved dump pipe i'm planning (as much 5" as i can fit before the 4" going down to the twin 3", with minimal bends) would this turbo work well? S400SX-80 ETT 1.32a/r 96mm T6. Could i still use my current cam with that turbo and improved exhaust flow, or should i start again with a new cam?

hypothetically, if the above is ok, any ideas on when i'd start seeing positive pressure?

thanks again guys

11. jridenour31

That turbo would be great. The cam still has too much overlap though. Something like a 236/240 115lsa would be much better. You're current turbo is easily capable of 800 to the tire.

12. jridenour31

I mean, that cam is seriously awful lol.

13. XB383

lol..

14. XB383

the original idea to change the turbine housing came from having the WG coming straight off the current housing, and it being in a bad position when the turbo gets turned to face forwards. Turbodaves.com has quoted $450 for the 1.10 housing, plus $150 shipping to where i am in Australia.

I figured if I'm spending that much why not go bigger.. If the 1.32 S400 i have now can support that i'll look into another 1.32 housing. depending on cost, it'll either be that or the 80mm S400

15. blown385

Call Jose at Forced Inductions . I think you can upgrade your S475 / 1.32/96 to his new Billet 80mm for $ 450 . Add the Race Cover and now you REALLY have a bad ass turbo . Probablly the badest 80mm out there .

OH YEA !!!!

Stay away from Turbo Daves !!!!!!!!

16. jridenour31

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, definitely need the bigger turbine with that many cubes. A smaller turbine works, but leaves a lot on the table. The 80 should make around 1000 to the tire.

17. jridenour31

Just out of curiousity, what are your cam specs?

18. blown385

[​IMG]#ad

19. jridenour31

Interesting, a little tighter lsa than I expected.

20. XB383

that sounds real interesting. What is his username on here?