1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Going lean all of a sudden... IDC is lower than before

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by xxfastangxx, Jan 6, 2011.

1. xxfastangxx

So I added another Meth nozzle, and now the car is going leaner... :huh:
    But... IDC did go down significantly, but I don't want it to go as low as its going... why is it going so low? MY afrs at wot are creeping up to 12.1...

2. AIS

Adding more methanol (fuel) is not going to cause the engine to go lean. Something else is happening. Whats the build? Need info on your set up.

Engine
    EFI or Carbureted
    Type supercharger or turbocharger
    Intercooled or non-intercooled
    Level of boost
    Approximate horsepower
    Type fluid your spraying

Rodney
    How many nozzles/where they are located

3. xr8tt

Hmm ?? Are you using the meth spray as a way of getting around poor fuel supply ??

4. xxfastangxx

Adding more methanol (fuel) is not going to cause the engine to go lean. Something else is happening. Whats the build? Need info on your set up.
    I know, that is why im getting confused, I added more meth to cool intake charge even more... and maybe up the boost 2 more psi some without pulling timing.

Engine
    EFI or Carbureted EFI
    Type supercharger or turbocharger turbonetics 66 Strim
    Intercooled or non-intercooled intercooled
    Level of boost 18 psi
    Approximate horsepower 550rwhp
    Type fluid your spraying 50/50 water meth

Rodney
    How many nozzles/where they are located

Right after the throttle body, 2, an m10 and m14.
    [/quote]

5. AIS

You sure the system is spraying? Is it using up the methanol mixture in the tank? At that power level with those two large nozzles Im suprised the engine isn't bogging. Those are huge nozzles for a engine like this on 50/50. What system do you have? Which pump is it?

Rodney

6. xxfastangxx

Yeah it's using the meth. It is a lebonte stage 3 kit which is progressive.

7. AIS

Whats IDC?

How do you know its going leaner? How are you reading air fuel?

Have you pulled the plugs to see what they look like?

Timing can effect air fuel reading a lot? How much timing are you running?

Adding water methanol injection is only going to fatten it up. Your adding more fuel to the engine. Its not going to lean it out. Something else is going on here.

Rodney

8. xxfastangxx

I am reading air fuel through an aem wideband
    I didn't pull plugs because apparently either I cracked my stock block or blew a HG
    Im running 19deg timing at full boost, car was tuned.

As for your last comment,... my thoughts exactly.

BUT... here is what I don't get. Why the sudden drop in IDC? It went from the usual 78% at the top of 4th to like 54%. Which is a HUGE drop, but didn't get TOO lean (I think the extra m14 helped it no full blown detonate itself to dead)

9. AIS

Tuning. If IDC stand for injector duty cycle then your tune is pulling fuel out when it see's the methanol flowing. Talk to your tuner unless your tuning it. Are you running a chip or aftermarket standalone or piggyback?

As for your block. I cracked mine once at that same power level. Booo

Rodney