1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Going 135+mph in 1/4mi. Need better brakes PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by 93weezer, Aug 14, 2016.

1. 93weezer

Currently I have 1993' mustang with pbr front calipers and rotors with 94' gt rear disc brakes. Also have MM manual brake conversion with 94gt master cylinder. I've never been able to lock up the front skinny tires and to easy to push through the brakes trying to get up on converter. Now I'm doing 135+ mph and have to stand on the brakes to slow down. What master cylinder should I get instead ???? Need help quick , thank you
    Also brakes have been bled several times (pressure bled)

2. Chuck L

What's the bore size on the cyl, now?
    What's the pedal ratio?
    What do you have for pads?
    Buy a brake pressure ga, and see what you are getting at the calipers.

3. 93weezer

I'm currently running 94gt master cylinder 1 1/16 bore, using the maximum motorsports manual brake kit that comes with the corrected brake pedal pivot point and hawk pads. Right now brake pedal is very stiff with little movement. Could never get the front skinny tires to lock up with both feet on pedal. Does anyone know if the cobra master cylinder with the help 1inch bore be better?
    Thank you

4. Chuck L

A 1" bore cyl will up the psi for the same foot pressure. it will also create more pedal travel.
    Do you have a adj prop valve?
    As I said before... Get a pressure ga on the calipers, and see what's going on.

5. 93weezer

Yes, I have a wilwood proportioning valve set on full open right now. Think I'll get cobra ms and gauge to see what's going on.

6. Disney Lincoln

I'd get the 94/95 Cobra MC and see if that helps.

7. cam406406

Smaller bore or move pivot point

8. Forcefed86

What pads? A soft organic pad is your best bet for initial holding power, but they will fade like crazy. I'd run a cheapo organic auto store pad on the rear. Then run something like a DTC-60 or 70 HAWK compound brake pad up front. That alone should do it if your brakes are in decent order without farting around with master cylinders.

9. Bad Medicine Racing

I don't get why eveyone goes manual brakes. I have vacuum assist on both my turbo cars with absolutely no problems.