1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help with turbo drains

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Ashveer03, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Ashveer03

Hi guys, im having a hard time routing the drain line on a new turbo that i have fitted onto my car (its not a v8, just hoping to get some opinions. Its a vw polo 1.9tdi).
    The turbo is quite low and not directly above the engine block drain connector, therefore using a flexible pipe will have an awkward angle/slope.

I will attach a few pics of the drain template that i have made, please share your opinions on whether it would work properly or not.

The turbo oil drain exit of the chra has a diameter of 10mm, i have therefore widened out the hole on the flange to 13mm and used 13mm i.d piping and mandrel bends for the upper half until the last bend, i could not source a coupling to fit into the engine block with an o.d of 16mm that will be suitable, so i had to cut of the oem drain for the last bend and connector which has an i.d of 11mm.
    (Used larger piping to kind of compensate for the bends, the oem bend will probably be the restriction, which, if the design seems ok i would try to get some sort of a coupling made to keep the piping at the same size)

I dont really want to fit on a scavenger pump and drilling the oil pan is out of the question, but if all else fails, that would be an option.

Is there any way for one to test if a drain is flowing corretly?

Any help/advice will be much appreciated

20170826_133753.jpg #ad
    20170826_133806.jpg #ad
    20170826_133827.jpg #ad
    20170826_133852.jpg #ad

2. Mnlx

It's tough to tell from the pics, but as long as it has a downward angle, and you use a large enough tube I think its short enough that it will be ok.

3. Ashveer03

Thanks bud. Will try it out, hopefully doesnt cause any issues

4. Mnlx

You should know right away if its not going to work. Make sure the crankcase is well vented as well, it'll be even more important with a marginal drain setup.

5. Ashveer03

Will do.. do u think its prone to cracking due to no flex on the pipe? I havnt really bothered about that because the turbo moves with the engine..

6. 01ssreda4

Looks fine to me.