1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Gigantic turbo, LS1'ish motor, custom kit, and a Nova

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by B4Ctom1, Jan 23, 2008.

1. B4Ctom1

Aaron has been building fast cars on his own since he was a teenager. Mostly he likes to shoot for the stars and do it on a budget. He seems to remember everything he reads and loves to race. One thing about Aaron is, he doesn't like to build anything he can't drive around. He has always driven his Nova around and has no intentions of changing that now.

He has a 1970 Nova which he ran a series of engines in, which a 454 Big Block Chevy running consistent 10.30 1/4 miles was the first engine of real note. He ran this engine for 5 years before it barfed a valve.

here are pictures of the very pedestrian looking 454 when he was first installing it
    http://www.titusracing.com/images/aaron/aaron_454_1.jpg
    http://www.titusracing.com/images/aaron/aaron_454_2.jpg

At this point he was already doing work at the shop and the shop owner Matt told him he should put Matt's nice solid 388 nitrous small block into the Nova since Matt's Chevelle project car was stalled because of work volume. Aaron ran his nova to a 9.40 that first trip to the track.

Im sorry I don't have pics of that motor in the nova to put here but I might come up with some later. Here is a video of it running on a second outing to the track at Kearney, Nebraska.
    -VP_EUNnZuA[/media]]

Last year the shop owner Matt completed his Chevelle enough to want to get his 388 motor back. He decided to knock the compression down with an entire rebuild of the engine. Then he topped it off with a
    Procharger F-2 in place of the nitrous and installed it into his Black Chevelle. Now with Bigstuff3 EFI (since we are a Bigstuff3 dealer) and no more nitrous, Matt grossly overestimated the injector size required for his car. The solution? We reprogrammed the EFI to run E85 instead of gasoline. On E85 on our Land-Sea dyno the car made 983hp to the rear wheels.

pic before he put it into his Chevelle
    http://www.titusracing.com/images/shoprides/matteng1.JPG

Shortly after that Aaron abandoned his idea for a newer nastier big block and decided that he wanted to move on to two of his biggest curiosities, turbos and LS series small blocks. There are many people running them across the US but no radical ones in our region.

The engine will be based on the tried and proven 5.3 liter LS series iron block from a truck. His decisions are based on the weight breaks he will be allowed in the top street classes in our area and PSCA for running such a small displacement. First he mounted and mocked up the engine. It is held in place with custom welded motor mounts and a 3/16 inch mid plate which will go between the engine and transmission.

another pic
    http://www.titusracing.com/images/aaron/enginemock1.JPG

Then since we are Turbonetics dealers he bought an... um... PT-91... Aaron slept with that thing for a few days after it arrived I think.

He mounted the turbo to the car to reduce the weight on the hot parts from such a huge turbo.

This allowed him to figure out what kind of radiator he will be running. Looks like the grill might actually protect it from being able to suck in larger birds and low flying aircraft.
    http://www.titusracing.com/images/aaron/enginemock3.JPG

Here is an interesting part, the down pipe. That small larger segment in the pipe is actually a muffler!

then he made a drivers side header

and a passenger side header

then building the crossover pipe

now the crossover is completed

he will take it all apart when all sensor bungs for 02 and whatever else are attached, and send it to be coated inside and out with some really wicked (but not so pretty) new coatings.

If you want to see more on this car or Aaron you can look here:
    http://www.titusracing.com/aaron.htm

2. B4Ctom1

two new pics of wastegate work:

3. B4Ctom1

4. B4Ctom1

Here is a letter he sent me as to what he would like people to specifically know about this car and project.

From the horse's mouth

Here are those heads

and that intercooler

better pic of them here:
    http://www.precisionturbo.net/intercoolers-display.php?company_id=101795&category_id=3052

5. B4Ctom1

He started some work on the IC piping.

6. B4Ctom1

perspective from above

throttle connected to stock lever with a bell crank

some radiator work

7. Jess

Dude.

I am in love. This is one wicked nova and a nice build. I am putting together a twin 85mm big block 72 nova, but mine is FAR from being anywhere near this nice. Yet.

8. Boosted Thrills

thats gonna haul some ass

real nice, ladderbar rear suspension? what size tires?

9. Jake

AWESOME build! I love DIYers! :2thumbs:

10. aliusSS

GORGEOUS! Can't wait to see it done.....it should fly.

11. B4Ctom1

It is a ladder bar, but he has been talking about going back to leafs so he can race in the local limited street series.

12. Proaction14

BADAZZZ!!

13. Mach_427

Beautiful work!! How many PSCA races does he plan on running? Looks like the car is being built to run Wild Street at 3150 lbs?

Jason

14. B4Ctom1

I don't know. He had mentioned PSCA to me before, but I dont know if he would make many if any.

15. 84tt monte ss

Wow that is going to be a nice car when its done ... Sweet build :2thumbs:

16. smokin87ta

Beautiful car and awesome build. cant beat ls1's and boost :chacha:

17. Lebaron91

Any updates?

18. njc.corp

Is the actual turbo in the guy's lap the actual turbo-

if so i did not even think that the pt91 was that big-

I might have to rethink what turbo i was going to use-

crazy project-looks really nice-wish i could even get to that level-

Nick