1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Getting started on a 360 turbo build..need some direction

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by mshred, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mshred

Hey everybody,

I have toyed with the idea of turbos for my car for a long time, and im now thinking of really going that route over this winter. My vehicle is a 71 plymouth scamp with a 23 spline 4 speed, and a 4.10 dana 60 (which I know i would probably have to gear down with if i go forced induction)...The car currently runs 12.3 on the motor shifting at 6k, which is a lowly junkyard peice consisting of

91 factory LA roller 360
    stock bottom end (cast pistons and all) with new rings, bearings and ARP rod bolts (pistons have been flycut for the cam)
    Cam is an IMM engines comp custom grind 106LSA, 230/230 duration at .050", 579/567 lift
    Heads are RHS LA-X heads as prepped by Brian at IMM engines
    Edelbrock RPM air gap intake, 750dp HP holley, 1-5/8 hedman headers
    Based on my vehicle weight and quarter mile times, Ive calculated a guestimated 315-325 at the wheels for horsepower...not bad running on 87 octane all the time (compression is just under 9:1 CR)

Anyways, I'd like to turn up the wick a little...I know with a turbo im going to need to do some fabrication, which I am capable of (my dad and couple of friends have all done fab on custom procharger setups so i have the help from them). My fuel system is stone stock right now, and i was going to upgrade it over the winter anyways. I know I have alot to learn, but i'd like to get about 400 rwhp, if not more, on pump gas outta this thing. I'd also like to do it for as little as possible, which I figure I can...My plan so far

Sumped fuel tank, new line (thinking 1/2" stainless) with a good walbro electric pump (not sure which one yet would suit my needs)
    As far as the turbo goes, I was thinking something along these lines, although I am no expert on picking a turbo at all so im open to suggestions
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T67-...Accessories&hash=item2a14112391#ht_3406wt_939

for exhaust i was thinking of trying some flipped shorties (I dont have any power steering or A/C to contend with)
    I know im going to need a carb hat, blow off valve, miscellaneous tubing for piping, a blow through carb (either modify my existing or buy one?) and an intercooler (?)...I'd really like to try and peice this together for as little as possible, so any suggestions on where i can look for these parts, and which ones would work for me, would be great! I know there is alot of cheap stuff and good stuff on ebag, but im not sure whats junk and what isnt....If there is anything else I am forgetting, please let me know...I hope im not making it look like I have this all figured out and that its easy for me, because it isn't...this is just a rough plan that I have right now, and if i need to be knocked back to reality, please let me know lol

Thanks!

thanks!

2. CUUDAK

3. turboplymouth

^^ That would be perfect for a mostly street car, 360, not revving 7000. The cam would be great if it was a 112-114 lsa. Also, technically, "flipped" headers won't work on a smallblock, but swapped side to side could work.

4. furious70

For your power level I would go with the swapped side to side exhaust manifolds to ease fabrication and increase reliability.

Gear change in a dana isn't as simple, I wouldn't change the gear till you have the car running to see what it likes. Is part of the goal to tame the engine down with less cam and less rpm? You don't need anywhere near that much cam to make the goal you have.

Don't know what 'cheap' is to you, but I did mine in the most affordable manner I could come up with, and I still had $800 in raw pipe, v bands, couplers, etc. I used OEM manifolds too. The raw materials add up fast.

5. mshred

Well Im going to have two four speeds, so one will be a backup....they have been good to me so far, and I beat on this car ALOT. I don't plan on making 600hp anyways since I'l be at the limits of the stock block as well.

As far as that turbo goes, thats quite pricey for a used peice....how do i go about selecting a proper sized turbo for my application? I can't read those compressor maps if my life depended on it...I'd also like to try and keep the cost down on the actual turbo itself

6. furious70

7. mshred

I was actually going to keep that cam...contrary to what I have heard alot of forced induction guys say about wider lsa's working better, ive been doing alot of reading lately where the experts are saying that a tighter LSA will actually make more power, to treat forced induction motor's more like N/A motors essentially.

As far as the flipped headers, sorry :doh:, i actually meant what you said about switching them from side to side, not actually flipping them up lol

8. furious70

Those articles are also assuming you're using modern stuff which does not jive with you wanting to keep your costs down. Basically, using the newest wheel technology in a ball bearing case is making the conventional wisdom obsolete.....but only if you're not using the conventional parts.

9. mshred

and of course the sarcasm begins already....honestly man, if you think your getting some sort of point across, just quit it and stop replying...those who can and will help without being d-bags are fine by me :2thumbs:

remember, i said doing this on a budget...and low hp numbers too...I dont need to set the world on fire, and therefore don't need some expensive turbo that I may be able to grow into...for now, i just want something that will work at the power levels im looking to achieve...if I have to pay 700 bucks for a turbo id rather just buy a new fuel system and strap on the cheater plate I already have sitting in my basement...like i said I don't know much about turbos, but I dont think i need a 700 dollar one (used too!) as a starting point for this build

10. mshred

changing the gears in the dana isn't an issue for me...i set them up and narrowed the diff too, so a gear swap, as much as it sucks, isnt a big deal...I was planning on keeping the 4.10's and seeing what it would like...I want to keep the cam (its not much cam at all anyways), but i would love to lower the gear for better cruising..I dont mind still spinning it to 6k either.

11. furious70

Wow, never been called a d-bag b4, guess you're good at making character judgements pal.

I put together a system very that was very affordable and does what it's supposed to do so far. I also own a turbo very similar to the one I linked for you for a future build. They are not cutting edge, but they will make the power you have said you want. One that is verified usable can go for as much as $250 if people catch it on ebay. The tv81/83's are more popular. They are an affordable alternative to the $500-800 borg warners.

You still haven't put a dollar amount on your project, that would help anybody who's willing to respond point you in the appropriate direction.

12. furious70

double post

13. mshred

Not sure why but this forum is working unbelievably slow for me right now...

I really don't like to make character judgements on the net, but intense sarcasm when im looking for help tends to rub me the wrong way...just because i said cheap doesnt mean im looking for junk, thats all im trying to get at...Yes im very dumb in the turbo department, but im not plain stupid...obviously you get what you pay for, but im just looking for something simple right now, thats all (and something in usable condition too).

Ideally I'd like to only spend about 12-1400 dollars on the whole setup, and thats pushing it. I have a friend who can get piping for very cheap, so most of my money would be spent on the fuel system and all the hard parts nescessary.

One other thing I wanted to ask is intercoolers- do i need one? should I go air to air, or air to water? meth injection instead? this is a 95% street car, and it gets driven everywhere!

14. furious70

_without sarcasm_ then I suggest you use the search button to learn a little about the TV series of turbos. I got mine for about $125 shipped and it seems usable, no excessive play. Mine is a TV73 with a 1.23 a/r turbine, so a little more desirable IMO. Sometimes you can catch a deal. If I didn't already have mine I'd probably buy this one, if nothing else to have a real T6 turbo in stock for mock up. I personally would rather shop for one of these 'cheap' TV turbos than buy the ebay china turbos that other people try on a budget. The one I linked might be a good deal, cheap != junk necessarily.

15. furious70

I think the whole miscommunication is that I was _serious_ about that turbo whereas you thought I was being a prick.

16. turboplymouth

If 600-700 is too much for a turbo then just put the bottle on it.

17. Alikazam

Bottle fill bills add up to a turbo system over time :) ask me how I know! I also plan to go turbo eventually but loving the squeeze right now :) Good luck with your build man, similar to what I plan but I'm shooting for a little higher numbers than you are :) Posted also to subscribe and watch this thread :) Peace out.

18. CUUDAK

Agreed!!
    Some folks have had good luck with the "Chinese" turbo's, others haven't. I really don't see $1200-1400 doin it for ya!! I have over half that in materials on a Single blowthrough. :huh: I got a S480 brand new from a member here for less than $800. :2thumbs:

If 500hp is all your looking for why turbo it? :stupid: I had a 340 punching 550hp N/A and had Good street manners! You really shouldn't be so thin skinned especially on this site!!! :ahah: There is a wealth of information here and most of it has already been addressed in other threads! There is a search button at the top of the page! I don't think you read the board rules. :-X I know, it happened to me! :doh:
    You should listen to TurboPlymouth as well as the other guys!! I have seen his build and he looks to know his shit! Look at his sig! You should expect to be drilled when you come on here and start judging people for there posts when they are giving/asking YOU information! :doh:

You continue to do that and you will find yourself without ANY help!!

GOOD LUCK on your endeavor!

19. turboplymouth

Let me reiterate my last post. When I built a Turbo motor, I did it because I WANTED a Turbo motor not necessarily because I wanted xyz HP.

20. Hahns5.2

Driveability and fuel economy.

I make a lot less than 500hp and I still think it was the way to go. I get stock fuel economy numbers, it drives like stock until I put my foot in it and it's got enough balls to spank most things on the street. Works for me :noidea: Of course doing it with a blowthough probably negates the fuel economy and superb driveability part.