1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Coolant on Head studs

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 89BiTurbo, May 24, 2006.

1. 89BiTurbo

Ive searched and found very little, but i am having what appears to be coolant leaking from my lower head studs on my passenger side. How much of an issue is this? What are the most likely causes? The car is running great, pulls awesome and has no smoke. A test of the cooling system showed no signs of exhaust gasses in the coolant, and there is not water in the oil. There is a very tiny amount of black in the coolant, but it doesnt appear to be loaded with oil.

The block is a stock 302, mostly stock bottom end, Fel pro head gaskets, ARP 7/16 studs, AFR 165 heads. I am running 10psi with creep to 15psi.
    This is a bad cell phone pic, hopefully you can see what im talking about

2. SWT Racing

Did you not put sealer on the threads that thread into the block?

3. 89BiTurbo

i did, and the engine has been together for 20,000 miles. All of a sudden this was on the front stud, then the next day on the back stud. I am very confused. Its been turbo for 5,000 miles with out a problem.

4. redvictor

i've seen that happen when the head was cracked inside the stud hole on a Chevy.We had to bore it out and sleeve it in the end.......
    it's usually lack of sealer on the threads though......

5. stanggod

I wouldn't worry about it much. It happens often especially when running copper head gaskets.

6. nuckifuts

:withu: all of my cars with studs leaked coolant.

7. trbo50

Not a big deal, just put some silicon on the head studs. I used Ultra Copper.