1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I've read a bunch of posts and have an idea, but want your opinions.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by PowerAddict, Dec 30, 2008.

1. PowerAddict

After about 3 centuries :chacha: I'm actually about ready to fire up the ole DIY turbo rustang. I've searched but got an array of opinions and I am wanting to know

where I should set base timing at?
    fuel pressure?
    how much timing to take out per pound of boost with my BTM?
    what minimum octane without tune? With tune?

twin t3's 60/.63's. don't know where stock spring is at, but i'm going to be looking for about 10-12 psi I think.
    Intercooled
    NGK plugs two steps colder gapped at .035"
    MSD BTM, MSD coil and FRPP 9mm wires
    Stock block 306, forged internals (like it matters...)
    main girdle, studded
    Not 100% on cam, but specs similar to the E-cam
    vic. jr. heads 1.5 roller rockers
    arp head studs
    fel-pro MLS gasket
    holley system max upper and lower
    80mm TB
    76mm C&L meter
    42lb injectors
    255lph intank pump

So yeah, it won't be tuned for probably a week or two, so I'd like answers for before and after tune.

Thanks.

2. Turbo_Baer

sounds like a nice setup. id go 8* spout out and allow the BTM to remove 1* per 1 lb of boost. that will bring total timming at WOT to 18* on 12 psi. set base fp at 46psi with the smaller 42# injectors. make SURE you have a boost referanced regulator. that will allow the fuel pressure to rise 1psi per 1lb of boost. run 93 octance or 94 if available to you. other then that have fun ! and get yourself a wibe band, that will allow you to keep an eye on things.

3. Anthony Fury

+2: get a wideband.

Use 93 all the time. It's an extra $0.20 a gallon.

If I were you, I'd find out where your wastegates will open using some kind of regulated air pressure device. This will do 2 things: A. give you an idea of what to watch for, and B. make sure they aren't stuck.

4. chiaj144

You may have to tighten your plug gap up some. If it starts breaking up on you that is the first thing I would look at.

5. PowerAddict

okay, so timing was a little lower than I thought and fuel pressure was a little higher than I thought. My FPR is boost referenced, I made sure before I bought it.

Yeah, i figured I'd start there and if was breaking up then I'd knock the plug gap down to about .030"

6. Turbo_Baer

well im going safe for you. i could say leave it at 10* and have the BTM remove 1/2*-3/4* per lb and leave the fp at 42 psi..... but youd wind up breaking it abd i dont want to be blamed :ahah: so witht he safe side, you can enjoy it for a week until its tuned :drive:

7. PowerAddict

ha, no i totally understand. So you think after the tune 10* base and fuel pressure at 42 lbs with 3/4 of a degree of timing per pound of boost?

8. hezekiahmunson

Get a wideband fo sho

9. Turbo_Baer

well no, thats upto the tuner to decide. once you go there and "tune it" you will not need to touch a thing unless you change parts, add boost, or blow it up. then its a retune. all you need to do is leave it be and add gas :2thumbs:

10. Gen1SVE

+1 on the plug gap. I shoot for .025-.028