1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Garrett GTP38, help/info

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by 91 notch, Aug 28, 2009.

1. 91 notch

Hey guys, I'm new around here but I've done my research and used the Green Button with little success. I'm doing a turbo build on my 1991 mustang. I have a set of pony down performance headers with a T4 flange. Here's where the diesel guys come into play... I scored a Garrett GTP38 80mm with .84 a/r exh and 1.0 a/r compressor for $30! Even if i have to rebuild it I think I made out pretty damn well on the deal, right?

My question is what special modifications will have to be done to this turbo to get it to work on my kit. What horsepower can this turbo support? I heard it's internally wastegated, can I block this off and use my TiAL 44mm external wastegate? Also, is this the HKS flange I'll need to adapt the GTP38 to my T4 flange? http://shop.edoperformance.com/hks-turbo-adapter-flange-t04-t51r-p-4653.html

Please share any and all information/suggestions that you think will help. I need to know what I have and how it will perform. Thanks so much!

Chris

P.S. let me know if you need any more info on my current n/a combo!