1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2003 Silverado Twin Turbo 5.3 Drag Truck

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by sldpulr, Jun 11, 2020.

1. sldpulr

Hey guys, Bought another project and I am finally starting to make some headway. Its a 2003 single cab Chevrolet Silverado.

Some of you might remember my 1980 turbo C10 build (lots of you helped me a ton!) Well that truck is done and will flat out fly. They only issue is I am scared or wrecking it or damaging the truck so I never take it to the track. Its my wife's fathers truck so it has lots of sentimental value. I have really enjoyed building and driving the truck so I would like to build another that is strictly a drag truck. Something I can go out and beat on and not worry to much if it gets messed up.

So the truck was in a wreck where they drove it up against a wall. Right now it has no front clip or bed. I have put some new doors on it, pulled the cab and painted the frame. I just finished up a C-Notch on the rear and once I have the 10 point cage ill get a bed and front clip back on it. I got the truck for free so I couldn't pass up the deal.

So far I have the motor done and on a stand ready to go back into the truck. Plans are to do a twin turbo build and really crank up the boost on this one.

5.3 - Stock bore
    Summit Pro LS H-beam rods
    Summit Pro LS pistons
    Summit Pro LS crank
    BTR stage 1 twin turbo cam & spring package
    ARP studs
    LS7 lifters
    BTR LS9 gaskets

1.jpg #ad
    2.jpg #ad
    3.jpg #ad
    4.jpg #ad
    5.jpg #ad
    6.jpg #ad
    7.jpg #ad

So Thats kind of where I am at now. Ill update again in a few days after I get some more stuff done.

Thanks for following along.

Oh and Heres the 1980 if anyone remembers

5FDFC903-D097-4DF5-9F45-2BADA42F3082.jpg #ad
    7.jpg #ad

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  2. Drac0nic

Yeah that 1980 looks familiar. Is that an 8.5 out back? Also I imagine you're swapping a 4L80E or similar in right?

Not a bad choice sheet metal should be easily scored from the yard still.

3. sldpulr

Yeah that's just the OE rear end. It will get a built f150 8.8 and ill tig the front rotors up and have them re-drilled at a machine shop. That will put me on a ford bolt pattern with a HUGE wheel selection. Not much to chose from in the 6 lug department unless you buy Bogart's or outrageously over priced Welds like I did on my 1980.

I haven't decided on the trans yet. Either a TH400 or a Glide with a Pro brake. My 4l80 was higher than giraffe P*(!@# to build to hold 1000hp (not to mention the expensive lock up converter)

4. sldpulr

Something else I need to decided on is a 4 link or just running a split mono leaf. So if anyone wants to chime in with opinions please do so. I did the research before I took the truck apart and figured out the instant center. Bar length should be 23", But ill remeasure once the new axle is under it. I may try to lower the motor in the frame to get the weight down low so I am sure all that will change.

Something else I need some guidance on is turbos. I originally planned to do twin BW s366 with the 73MM wheel but VS racing has since come out with the mirror image turbos and there is nothing in this world that makes my brain happier that a symmetrical turbo setup.

How do you guys think two of these would do on the 5.3 with the twin turbo cam. I don't have a HP goal just want to win some classes. Around here if i could get in the high 7s or low 8s I would dominate the truck class.

(the ones with the 1.01 AR)
    https://turbo4less.com/product/vsr-next-gen-67-62-dbb-billet/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  5. Drac0nic

If you're going to race it at all a leaf config may help with class legality e.g. "original configuration" suspension. Be very sure about how you want to race it before you go to a 4 link.

sldpulr likes this.
  6. sldpulr

Thats a great suggestion. I will look at the class rules for the 3 tracks that are within a 2 hour radius and see where I can be most competitive.