1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Explorer cam sensor, LS1 coils, WHAT crank trigger?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Coupe Devil, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Coupe Devil

I know I'll need a crank sensor and wheel as well and being a 28 oz balance motor I cant just run the explorer balancer and wheel. What are you guys running for a crank trigger setup? Car currently has stock Ford dist but Im looking to make some changes, go to LS1 coils, and want to be able to re-route the intake charge piping and the dist is going to be in the way.

I have searched but didnt see a good link to which crank trigger I need to get. I am also running MSII if it matters with plans to upgrade to MSIII

Thanks
    Bradley

2. ashford

i used a 36-1 from diyautotune welded washers onto the wheel where the the pulley bolts lined up, cut out the center and used some small tubes and bolted it to the back of the balancer. the balancer i had was a pioneer and the pulley bolt holes are about an 1 1/4 deep so there was room for bolts from both directions. after it was bolted on i had it machined to true it up perfectly.

on my other engine i have a pro race balancer with a meaty outer ring. i cut the wheel directly into the balancer.

pics here https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/the-turbo-%27builds%27-board/83-capri-not-as-%27ugly%27-383w-turbo-build/msg1545296/#msg1545296

3. Coupe Devil

Thanks. Did that not space the crank pulley out to far?

4. ashford

the pioneer had enough room behind it, so i did not move anything.. i had to cut about .020 to clear the water pump. the pics in my build thread are of the balancer i cut the 24-1 wheel, it does not have room in the back or deep enough holes to mount the whell. i used the one from my pioneer as a template and test subject.

5. Coupe Devil

AH. Gotcha. I am using a CAT balancer and it has zero provisions to mount the wheel to the back. I ma 99% sure its going to have to go between the balancer and crank pulley.

6. Andy Dorsett

I used the Explorer cam sensor and a regular old MSD crank trigger kit but I have an XFI system. I'm not that familiar with the MSII.