1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Funky EGT's indicate injector problem???

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 57tking, Aug 11, 2012.

1. 57tking

Hi All:
    I have a funky problem with my FI setup that I need some collective wisdom on.
    Firstly, my setup (everything is brand new and never been run in):
    Twin turbo 350 Chev
    TPI setup (high flow trottle body, intake, and plenum and Edelbrock runners)
    57 lb (570cc) bosch injectors (8 ohm high impedence)
    Haltec F10X ECU
    Set up for batch fire not multipoint
    MSD AL6 ignition, MSD dissy (advance locked out and timed at 28 degrees), MSD Boost timing master currently set at zero degrees retard/1 psi.
    Fuel pressure is a constant 43psi
    2 bar map sensor
    Max boost 15 psi

The problem is this:
    The car idles smooth but needs to be rich (AFR around 11) for it to idle ok. Any leaner than this and it starts to pop in the exhaust (like a back fire).
    At idle, the left bank EGT is reading around 70 degrees hotter than the right (350 vs 280).
    Under light load (which I only have done briefly) the EGT difference between the 2 banks is much greater at 200 degrees (600 vs 400)
    The car is not missing, that is all 8 cylinders are firing, and I have brand new spark plugs in it.
    I cannot map the fuel under load as the popping becomes worse (along with the EGT problem) and I do not want to push it at this early stage.
    I have tapped the injectors with a wrench while idling in an attempt to free one up IF it was sticking. No change.
    Any suggestions on what I might do next. I'm thinking of pulling the fuel rail off to get to the injectors so I can have them tested, but before I dive in blindly I was hoping to get some opinions.
    Cheers,

2. Mnlx

Can you see anything by looking at the spark plugs that have been run? Or check temp at each cyl with temp gun.

3. 57tking

All the plugs are running black like you would expect when running fat. I checked the temp of each cylinder and came up with the following:
    Cylinder No. Time 0 (cold) 5 min run 10 min run 20 min run
    1 (front cyl left bank) 50 480 680 770
    2 50 640 840 840
    3 50 540 720 800
    4 50 400 480 630
    5 (front cyl right bank) 50 350 350 430
    6 50 300 350 430
    7 50 280 350 420
    8 50 150 210 210

Any thoughts on where to next?
    Cheers.

4. TurboNova

EGT is a horrible tuning tool for fuel. This is an example why. You are running a rich mixture with retarded timing from what you would run normally on a SBC engine. This is making the EGT higher than you might be comfortable with. EGTs in the 1100-1300 is no problem under light load so, you are no where near that. The other issue is with batch fire... what are you going to do about it?

I would be more worried about the #8 cylinder. I doesn't look like it is firing much at all or is real rich. You could have a stuck injector and no amount of tapping will fix it. The TPI engines were known for injectors that would fail or stick. I have had several that had an internal short. Take them out and have them cleaned or at least flow tested. I would suspect that you have one or more injectors not working correctly and by making the mixture so rich the cylinders that were not getting enough fuel are getting enough fuel now to idle. When you get into a harder load the extra fuel isn't enough to make up a bad injector.

I would reset my timing at 32 degrees and 1.5 degree per psi to start on the msd. Why are you not using the Haltech to manage timing?

bridal-shoal