1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Non anti-surge to anti-surge mod lost boost?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by vongdong, Aug 18, 2020.

1. vongdong

Hi all,

New to the forum and still very new to turbos.

I've got a 2003 Monaro and had a turbo kit installed. I've got 2 boost settings, 6psi and 12psi. I believe the turbo I have is a Garrett T51. I had it modded to have an anti-surge housing like the HKS T51R and it now hardly makes any boost. It makes around 3psi on the 6psi setting and I don't think it makes any at the 12psi, maybe 1psi.

Either there's a boost leak or the turbo has been seriously affected by the mod of which I think is the case. Thoughts?

2. B E N

If it is the only change made it would have to be. Boost leak or exhaust leak are the first things to check for, boost leak is easy to build a tester for using an air compressor (https://www.mishimoto.com/engineeri...uild-a-reliable-cac-piping-system/boost-test/) , exhaust leak you will be able to hear or feel with your hand as a pulse.

Do you have an external gate in this system? This sort of sounds like the fire ring was left out.

3. vongdong

Yeah, that's the only mod. I used sealant when I put the crompressor cover back on but I guess it could still be leaking. Pain in the neck to take off and put back on. Unfortunately don't have a compressor.

Yes, running an external wastegate.